Development Team Lead at Xero
What you’ll do
- Drive a culture of engagement and improvement, making sure the team understands how they help our customers and our business achieve great outcomes.
- Spend a proportion of your time coding with your team.
- Work in a Cloud Environment and utilize the most up-to-date technologies in AWS
- Make sure your team understands and adheres to modern engineering practice in line with organization objectives.
- Build and maintain a positive and constructive relationship with the product owner to ensure the delivery pipeline is flowing at a predictable and sustainable pace, raising and addressing blockers as appropriate.
- Ensure the health of all the team’s products is well understood by the team, discoverable by the wider organization, and able to be addressed should problems occur.
- Ensure the health of your team is monitored, that all members of your team are empowered to raise ideas and concerns, and that everyone contributes to improvements in how the team works together.
- Meet regularly with your reports, drive each of your people to become the highest performing version of themselves they can be, using a variety of techniques which may include performance feedback, career development, coaching and mentoring.
- Champion principles and practices that make it possible for engineers to get great work done, while promoting a safe environment for people to experiment and learn.
- Assist your Development Manager and work together with your leadership peers on the development of a world-class engineering culture where engineers have the skills and autonomy needed to build high-quality products and services.
- Help to cultivate a fun, appreciative, rewarding, innovative and results-driven culture that lives and breathes our Xero values
Success looks like
- Your team builds products that customers love and which achieve the intended business outcomes.
- Your team is highly engaged – everyone has a strong sense of purpose and feel they’re contributing to making a positive difference in the world.
- You and your team maintain a predictable and sustainable delivery pace, reflect on practices and delivery, and constantly try to make improvements.
- Your reports grow in their responsibilities, capabilities, and contribution to their team and wider in the organization. All direct reports understand their personal career path and are encouraged to excel towards it.
What you’ll bring with you
- Passion for helping people fulfill their potential
- Experience using AWS Toolchain or other cloud providers.
- Experience in CI/CD and delivery tooling
- Transparent communication style
- Building effective relationships
- Strong leadership experience with the ability to manage adversity
- Resilience to lean into challenging situations
- Prior leadership experience required
- Experience of managing engineering and/or other teams using modern leadership techniques required
- Experience working in an agile software development environment
- Understanding of modern product delivery practices
- Experience with agile practices