Critical Infrastructure Engineer III / Construction Manager at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
Position requires significant experience in common systems engineering standards (Bellcore / Telcordia). The applicant will design and specify material for AC and DC power equipment including commercial AC power building entries, switchboards, transformers, generators, UPS backup systems, rectifiers, power distribution, batteries, grounding systems, fire control systems and HVAC systems. ladder racking and ironwork to support cables and additional materials required to support installation.
Position requires experience in building construction techniques and management of construction projects. In addition to the critical infrastructure systems, position requires design and layout of the telecom ladder racking to support cables, fiber raceway, equipment rack layouts and all ironwork as required to support.
Position also requires maintenance of central office records, including updates to floor plans and front equipment drawings to reflect installations and completing capacity management reports for all AC and DC power equipment.
Tier 2 support 24X7X365 to Field Operations and NCC and overall management/oversight of all Critical Infrastructure (CI) equipment as needed: AC power distribution, buildings, grounding, fire systems, generators, ATS/MTS, Uninterruptable Power Systems (UPS), DC Power Plant Systems, and Cooling systems to ensure operational integrity, improve efficiency and reduce operational costs.
- Manage AC and DC power plant capacity, expansion projects, and recommend improvements for all infrastructure required for telecommunications equipment at all central offices, hub sites, and mini-hub sites. This includes land, buildings, internal structures, fire control systems, grounding systems, and HVAC systems.
- Maintain capacity management, trend analysis and exhaust date reports for UPS, rectifier, and battery reserve backup capacity.
- Perform AC and DC power distribution audits and evaluate all existing central offices, mini-hubs and long haul equipment shelters.
- Determine generator capacity, transformer capacity, rectifier capacity, controller settings, batteries, primary distribution, secondary distribution, cable size and distance and confirm voltage drop calculations.
- Maintain accurate documentation and provide recommendations for improvements if required.
- Plan and budget for AC and DC power plant installations, upgrades and augments to provide AC and DC power for telecommunications equipment.
- Coordinate with other departments to determine quantity of AC and DC power required and design layout of distribution system to optimize cable size and rack layouts.
- Develop detailed engineering specifications, configurations and material lists for power installations, upgrades and augments.
- Supervise equipment installation problems that require immediate solutions and decisions. Enforce contractors' compliance with Zayo and Bellcore standards and specifications by performing inspection and quality control of power equipment installations. Verify contractor/subcontractor construction adhere to Zayo, Bellcore, and National Electrical Code standards.
- Create and implement design and installation schedules based on accelerated and very tight deadlines.
- Prepare bid packages and evaluate bids to determine awarded contracts.
- Coordinate work forces (contractors, technicians) during construction.
- Review payment invoices for all vendors for the design, construction, and expansion of all new and existing critical infrastructure systems at central offices, mini-hubs and long haul equipment shelters.
- Write Method of Procedures (MOPs) for all CI equipment repairs and augments.
- Assists Field Operations and NCC/NOC technicians with Operation Support issues, that may require vendor or manufacturer support.
- Develop reliability reports to assist in identifying areas of concern that could develop into future problems.
- Subject Matter Expert on CI equipment issues for all PG’s and advises them on solutions for technical problems or barriers.
- CI Equipment inventory accuracy and Data Integrity in SF
- Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, and or Civil Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years in a telecommunications of all Critical Infrastructure (CI) equipment: AC power distribution, buildings, grounding, fire systems, generators, ATS/ MTS, Uninterruptable Power Systems (UPS), DC Power Plant Systems, and Cooling systems to ensure operational integrity, improve efficiency and reduce operational costs
- Experience in Microsoft Office, SalesForce, and Database applications
- Project Management experience required
Base salary range: $88,629-$96,299
Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary quarterly short-term and long-term incentive cash bonuses which are based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
Fitness membership discounts
Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave