Cost Optimization Engineer at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and colocation services. Zayo owns and operates a Tier 1 IP Backbone and 44 carrier-neutral data centers. Through its Cloudlink service, Zayo provides low latency private connectivity that attaches enterprises to their public cloud environments. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
This position is responsible for Network Optimization initiatives for IP and Ethernet networks that are driven by Real Estate Forced Relocations, ISP Cost Savings, PG cost Savings, Network Modernization and Access Cost Reductions. You will be responsible for analyzing and auditing traffic on existing network/device, design new path, traffic migration and updating database.
- Planning – Internal review of project to see cost and potential optimization at order/service level. Existing equipment and new equipment, migration path.
- Engineering – Physical and logical audit of the circuits, notate database logistics
- Engineer capacity details, such as router port, cross-connect, metro/in-building dark fiber
- New circuit design and documentation
- Create statement of work, create internal order forms (via Salesforce.com)
- Operations -Create MOP, Schedule MR by contacting customer by phone or email
- Secure internal resource NCC and Local Field Operation to get assistance in circuit migration
- Update status and progress in salesforce on a daily and regular basis
- Verify and update project documentation
- Implementation and migration to complete optimization
- Disconnect equipment
- Update Database to complete the project
- Bachelors degree required, Masters degree preferred; with a emphasis on Electrical, Mechanical, Networking or Telecommunications Engineering preferred.
- Two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of experience in the area of IP routing and network engineering.
- Preferred certifications: JNCIA, CCNA.
- Detail oriented, quality driven, self-directed, and self-motivated team player.
- Familiar with fundamentals of IP routing and switching, including BGP, DNS, IP address management.
- Flexible schedule to support after-hours maintenance operations.
- Proficient with Juniper Routers & Switches (hands-on) and/or Cisco Routers & Switches (hands-on).
- Direct and recent experience troubleshooting router connectivity in a complex routed network environment.
- Direct and recent experience using a router CLI to provision IP/Ethernet services.
- Familiar with fundamentals of provisioning fiber based circuits in a datacenter environment, including patches, cross-connects, risers, and backhaul.
- Experience working in a team within a complex and fast paced environment.
- Good problem solving skills with the ability to focus on the salient facts in order to resolve an issue.
- Experience organizing multiple, time sequenced tasks across several concurrent projects.
- Experience with Junos and Cisco IOS XR is must.
- Familiar with Google docs and sheets, email.
- Good communication skills – verbal and written.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave