Chief Architect at CircleCI
The Chief Architect will lead the next stage of engineering growth with an emphasis on technical leadership. We are looking for someone who excels in seeing the big picture, building innovative architectural and software design, and can guide our engineering teams to promote architectural principles.
Collaborate with the Engineering teams, team members, and collaborators to gather architecture and system requirements, develop architecture design, and conduct/supervise proofs-of-concept as required.What you'll do:
- Define and consistently iterate on the technical strategy for CircleCI over the next 12-36 months.
- Provide information and analysis on technical issues as required for effective organizational decision-making, either through the SVP of Engineering or directly.
- Responsible and for the delivery of a clear and practical technical strategy that aligns with corporate, product, and engineering organizational strategy. Accountable for the breakdown of that strategy such that it is practical for individual teams.
- Make binding decisions covering all or a subset of engineering.
- Ensure adequate technical processes governing engineering implementation and operation to meet goals. For example, ensuring the existence of a service launch process that includes the defined SLOs for a service.
- Ensure initiatives with significant engineering components have an assigned lead for technical decisions.
- Provide direct feedback on large engineering initiatives to ensure alignment with architectural and product strategy.
- Responsible for the timely delivery of reliable systems that meet customer acceptance criteria.
Aligning Organizational Growth and Architecture
- Provide mentorship on organizational structure and its impacts on technical strategy.
- Cultivate a culture of inclusion, visibility, and constructive critique in technical decision-making, implementation, and operation.
- Mentor Architecture groups and ICs and assist them in growing their impact while meeting goals.
- Ensure the hiring process aligns with technical strategy.
- Participate directly in incident response, particularly during critical outages with unknown causes.
- Act as a code and design reviewer when alignment with existing strategy or precedent is not clear, particularly when the impact crosses team boundaries.
- Provide support, feedback, and analysis to the Engineering Leadership Team in order to support their goals.
- Confirmed experience in software engineering and engineering management, including global architecture roles
- Experience scaling large systems that are expected to grow in scale in the near future
- Deep understanding of the software delivery lifecycle
- Shown ability to support sustainable scale through enablement
- Strong financial perspective with a focus on return on investment for engineering effort
- Ability to generate outcomes by driving accountability above, below, and around you
- Desire to ask the right questions to help prioritize outside your areas of expertise
- Strong opinions developed through experience and the ability to adapt those experiences to new environments
- History of mentoring senior team members to do their best work
- A desire to pursue excellence through small increments of improvement
This role equals architect level on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectations for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.We Are Remote-First
Being remote-first, we foster a team that is inclusive of remote workers while allowing everyone to be the most productive. Read more about our remote-first culture here.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that process more than one million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Base10, Greenspring Associates, Eleven Prime, IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Baseline Ventures, Threshold Ventures, Scale Venture Partners, Owl Rock Capital, Next Equity Partners, Heavybit and Harrison Metal Capital.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law.
Colorado Salary Range: $178,500 - $210,000/year