[Candidate and Evaluation] Quality Software Engineer at Checkr (Remote)
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $4.6B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Checkr is looking for an experienced Software Quality Engineer to join the Continuous Safety Team. As part of the Continuous Safety program, you will be focused on building products that enable an ongoing relationship between employers and employees. You will work on building a differentiated post-hire experience that enables companies to maintain on-going trust and safety rather than a one-time pre-hire screening at the time of onboarding.
Because we process millions of records each year, every engineering challenge our group faces – compliance, data quality, speed, and reliability – is a challenge we face at scale. We also face deep product challenges from a highly fragmented and decentralized data ecosystem, which means every engineering choice we make is also an opportunity to reduce bias in the hiring process.
We are looking for teammates that are highly collaborative (we have a preference towards pair programming), care deeply about the mission of our company (improving fairness in the criminal justice system), and are eager to work with a diverse team (42% of engineers across the background check program identify as women).
- Act as the Quality Subject Matter Expert for the Monetization Engineering Team, helping to foster a strong culture of testing and continuous improvement.
- Help define testing strategies and work with the team to implement testing for new features.
- Expand our existing automated test suites, executed as part of our continuous integration flow. Over time the percentage of this work should decrease as we move on to more advanced initiatives
- Prioritize key tests and scenarios based on historic issues, in collaboration with Customer Success, product, and engineering.
- Work with engineers to investigate production issues, and perform root cause analysis.
- Define and implement metrics to communicate the quality of the products you are responsible for.
- Support other types of quality targets, such as performance, load, and stress testing. When it does, the percentage of “expanding existing test suite” work should decrease.
- You have 4+ years of experience as a Software Quality Engineer or related role.
- You have previous test automation framework development experience.
- You can analyze the product and identify the best automation approach.
- You know how the web works, can dive into HTTP and API design, and have solid experience building and testing web applications.
- You have experience working with microservice architecture, and are familiar with using mocked responses
- You have a solid track record of defining and building automated test suites using a programming or scripting language. You know what a good test framework looks like, and are ready to improve our existing frameworks.
- You are self-motivated
- You are a team player who can work with product and engineering in developing detailed test plans and test cases.
- You like troubleshooting issues and enjoy finding the root cause of a problem.
- You are a strong communicator. Discussing complex technical concepts with designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.