Autonomous Vehicle Perception Evaluation Engineer at Outrider
Azevtec (Autonomous, Zero-Emission Vehicle Technologies) is automating 'first-mile' trucking. We simplify how large enterprises ship goods—our robotic systems automate repetitive vehicle movement and manual tasks in the world’s busiest freight-shipping hubs to enhance operational performance, reduce costs, and improve safety.
Azevtec is a rapidly growing, Series-A company founded to drive the adoption of sustainable transportation and deploy autonomous vehicles responsibly.
The Autonomous Vehicle Perception Evaluation Engineer will report to the Perception lead and be responsible for comprehensive verification and validation; use-case test procedure creation and execution; and bug identification, logging and resolution for all aspects of the system's perception capabilities. This will include testing individual software modules, subsystems, and functionality related to RADAR, LiDAR, 3D cameras, and ultrasonics sensors.
This position is mission-critical for delivering a safe, effective, first-of-its-kind industrial technology, and will build the foundation for the company’s overall system test procedures and organization. The successful candidate will test and validate autonomous vehicle systems that redefine large enterprise supply chains and boast safe, error-free, and effective operational performance.
Duties and responsibilities
- Regression testing and 'smoke testing' of overall system and perception/computer vision capabilities
- Generate, organize, manage, and conduct 'white-box' and system-level/'black-box' verification tests and test procedures to validate compliance with perception/computer vision system specifications
- Define and lead the development of perception software test harnesses
- Contribute to the development of analysis tools using Python and other software packages
- Contribute to the company’s modeling, simulation, test automation, and evaluation capabilities
- Be accountable for whether tests have been meaningful
- Work with the team to understand and prioritize perception/computer vision test exceptions and help drive toward a product that meets all customer, business, and technical expectations
- Review bug reports, track bugs to a subsystem, identify root causes/corner cases, and work within the team to propose fixes
- Provide sub-system and system-level support for internal and external teams, as needed
- Commit to travel and perform field work, depending on initial customer locations (up to 25%)
- 2 years in a software test engineering role
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science and/or electrical/electronics engineering
- C/C++ development experience
- Familiarity with ROS, Python, and C++
- Comfort with Linux and command line
- Test, debug, and system engineering mindset
- Experience using JIRA and bug-tracking tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Sterling references
- Pedigree as a software test engineer focused on perception software functionality
- Experience with robotics software engineering, autonomous vehicle systems, computer vision, machine learning, and/or planning and controls
- Familiarity with continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Background as a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
- Master’s degree in computer science, robotics, electrical/electronics engineering, or computer engineering
- Experience with CAN bus standard and/or UDP