Autonomous Vehicle Navigation and Localization Engineer
Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
We’re searching for a talented, autonomous vehicle software engineer who has designed, developed, and implemented navigation and localization software for safety-critical ground robotics applications (ideally from concept through volume commercial production).
The Autonomous Vehicle Navigation and Localization Engineer will report to the Vice President of Software Engineering.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design and architect the navigation/localization system for ground vehicles: elicit requirements, conduct trade studies and make-versus-buy decisions, and work with subcomponent vendors and vehicle OEMs to understand capabilities of off-the-shelf components and how to utilize them in the Outrider System
- Own implementation and qualification of the navigation/localization subsystem through the complete development lifecycle: requirements, design, code development, unit testing, and release/support
- Understand the current state of the art and identify opportunities for increasing performance and reducing hardware costs
- Proficiency with C and C++
- Masters or PhD (or Bachelors degree with commensurate experience in a related field)
- Prior experience developing navigation/localization solutions using IMU, vehicle odometry, and GPS sensing
- Background developing a production system or an advanced research prototype
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Sterling references
- Ability to read/write/debug Python
- Familiarity with, or experience implementing SLAM in ground vehicles
- Comfort using point clouds and LIDAR data
- Expertise in GPS signal processing