Autonomous Vehicle Controls Engineer at Outrider
Azevtec (Autonomous, Zero-Emission Vehicle Technologies) is automating 'first-mile' trucking. We simplify how large enterprises ship goods—our robotic systems automate repetitive vehicle movement and manual tasks in the world’s busiest freight-shipping hubs to enhance operational performance, reduce costs, and improve safety.
Azevtec is a rapidly growing, Series-A company founded to drive the adoption of sustainable transportation and deploy autonomous vehicles responsibly.
The Autonomous Vehicle Controls Engineer will be responsible for contributing to all applications of embedded software in Azevtec’s products, including vehicle controls, actuation, and navigation; signal processing; and communications. In addition, this role will provide engineering support for Azevtec's customer pilot and deployment programs through all phases.
This role is mission-critical for helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a very talented software engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop embedded software modules from scratch in C for the Azevtec vehicle control system through all phases of the development lifecycle: requirements, design, source code implementation, unit test, integration, and system test
- Provision and support hardware & software updates to be released and rolled out to customer sites
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical/electronics engineering, or a related field
- Strong C development experience in embedded applications
- Background in embedded software development (ideally for marine, ground, air, or space vehicles, autonomous or otherwise)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to customer locations (up to 25%)
- Sterling references
- Experience developing software for safety-critical applications
- Experience with real-time operating systems (RTOS)
- Experience with robotics, autonomous vehicle systems, machine learning, and/or planning and control systems
- Master’s degree in computer science, robotics, electrical/electronics engineering, or computer engineering
- Familiarity with C++, Python, and/or ROS
- Experience with the CAN bus standard and/or Ethernet and UDP
- Familiarity with functional safety specifications, including ISO 26262, ISO 13849, and MIL-STD-882