Associate Engineer, Field Tooling at Ball Aerospace
Do you want to work for a world-leading manufacturer who strives to build a better future through sustainability and innovation? Are you looking for a new challenge in a stable, fast-growing sector?
Join us, and build your career by helping us build the future.
We are a global leader in sustainable products with more than 21,000 team members worldwide. From infinitely recyclable aluminum cans, cups, and aerosol bottles, to aerospace solutions that enable our customers to have a deeper understanding of our planet and the universe. We produce all these incredible things with one unique purpose: crafting a better community, a better society, a better world.
Moreover, each of us has a deep commitment to diversity and inclusion which is the foundation of our culture of belonging. And everyone at Ball is an everyday champion, making a difference by doing what we love.
We lead with our heads and our hearts and combine innovative thinking with a spirit of resiliency that keeps us moving forward in a relentless pursuit of new ways to make life, and the world, better. Whether we’re developing packaging that’s infinitely recyclable or aerospace innovations. Because what we create may change, but what we will always make is a difference.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Provides regional plant support for tool rooms and front end / back end tooling performance improvements to meet the company’s overall production goals, business plans, and objectives. Works with Container Engineering to test and implement tooling design improvements and assist in new line startups. Investigates and implements container-related cost improvements in material usage, operating practices, and equipment utilization.
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Maintains awareness and complies with all environmental management requirements.
- Supports and follows the guidelines of the food safety system.
- Supports tool rooms for several plants in a geographical region focusing on increased production, reduced tear offs, and reduced tool usage while maintaining established safety and quality goals.
- Works with Container Engineering and Project Engineering to provide capital project, startup, and lightweighting support. Provides liaison and technical support to other disciplines of production engineering and other plant departments. Works closely with corporate engineering to accomplish shared goals and objectives.
- Drives tool room standardization and efficiency improvements by developing and conducting audits, comparing best practices, and driving action plans derived from those activities.
- Becomes a subject matter expert for all measuring and grinding equipment. Coordinates vendor equipment audits and ensures follow up items are addressed.
- Stays current on technical advancements in the industry and conducts trials to determine performance and fitness for use.
- Initiates technical meetings to review opportunities and improvements with Container Engineering, suppliers, and plants. Responsible for action plans and results that come from these meetings.
- Participates in troubleshooting investigations and corrective action of product and tooling. Communicates results and subsequent changes in SOPs to Container Engineering, plants, and other Tooling Field Engineers.
- Provides training to tool room and other plant personnel in regards to tooling design, operation, and maintenance practices. Develops and updates training plans as warranted.
- Initiates, reviews, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for tool rooms and tooling.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through trade school or work-related experience
- Job related experience for 5 year(s) minimum
- Working knowledge of the following areas: standard machine shop and tool and die practices; knowledge of metallurgy, heat treatment, welding, and brazing; nomenclature of assigned equipment; experience working to tolerances of up to ± .00050.
- Working knowledge of metrology and metrology equipment.
- Ability to apply independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard machining techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and working knowledge of CAD practices and GD&T,
- Ability to work with basic math, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Ability to independently arrange travel and create work plans several weeks in advance
Compensation & Benefits
- Hiring Salary Range: $ 60,000 - 90,000 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click "Total Rewards" to learn more.
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball Corporation ends in “@ball.com.” Please also be advised that Ball will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit our careers website at https://jobs.ball.com/.
If you have applied to a position and have been asked for personal information through LinkedIn, please notify LinkedIn directly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans