Assembly and Advanced Manufacturing Manager at Outrider
Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
Outrider seeks an Assembly and Advanced Manufacturing Manager to grow the assembly and manufacturing engineering operations from the early Pilot Phase to a benchmark, world-class Production operation providing the highest levels of quality and efficiency while optimizing cost. The Assembly and Advanced Manufacturing Manager will directly manage the Pilot and Production Assembly Operations of the company, including overseeing any third-party manufacturing operations. This position requires a high degree of knowledge in assembly process flow design and optimization, advanced manufacturing tools and planning, as well as technician / operator leadership with a “roll up your sleeves” attitude.
The ideal candidate has successfully launched an assembly or manufacturing operation in their career and has applied advanced manufacturing tools, preferably within a start-up environment involving electric, sustainable transportation and/or autonomous hardware.
- Design and implement the most efficient process flow and layout of the Pilot Assembly operations to ensure the highest level of quality and process efficiency
- Develop and publish KPIs for quality and production status and monitoring as well as strategic and operational objectives
- Develop and publish operator instructions, specifications for tools, part presentation specifications and other workstation documentation
- Deploy manufacturing data systems to capture assembly and manufacturing quality data as well as provide operator instructions and other relevant operator / technician information critical to specific tasks
- Optimize the assembly and manufacturing footprint of the Outrider operation in coordination with and consideration of engineering, facilities, supply chain and operational requirements
- Lead, coach and mentor the operator and/or technician teams supporting the internal and external assembly and manufacturing operations for the company.
- Train the teams in the use of the appropriate statistical tools, process qualifications and quality protocols for the respective workstations or areas.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain to deploy ERP modules relevant to areas of the assembly and manufacturing operations such as MRP and Production Control.
- Ensure Assembly / Manufacturing workforce is following with all regulations including ITAR and US Customs, OSHA, ISO and other regulations. Drive a safety culture within the Assembly and Advanced Manufacturing organization.
- Bring leadership, enthusiasm, and strucutre to the role in a fast-paced, fun, and collaborative environment.
- Occasional business travel required to visit equipment suppliers or potential third-party integrators (<25%).
- Minimum 10 years of experience in assembly, manufacturing and advanced manufacturing disciplines at a vehicle, hardware or other systems manufacturing provider
- Fluent in manufacturing and quality tools, including lean manufacturing processes and techniques, GD&T, PFMEA and APQP
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills, especially within a fast and dynamic operations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (including Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and experience using Quality (SPC, DoE) and MES operations software
- Experience in a startup or similar fast-paced environment where there is frequent change and a need to demonstrate and act with a sense of urgency, flexibility and adaptiveness
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering
- Master’s degree in Engineering or related discipline
- ASQ, CMfgE, and/or CPIM certifications