The Application Developer position supports the University’s mission by designing, developing and deploying quality software for the Enterprise Resource Planning system, third party integration systems and in-house developed applications. A successful candidate for this position will show existing aptitude in or an ability to rapidly adapt to a diverse technology environment, including Java, PL*SQL, COBOL, Pro*C and other solutions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
40% Application Development:
As a member of the Application Development team, effective software development will be a core focal point for this position. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• In conjunction with business analysts, validate requirements and confirm all specifications.
• Develop code per application specifications & client requirements
• Align application functionality with relevant vendor requirements, legislative mandates & industry standards.
• Validate that application solves the required business problem.
• Evaluate code to ensure high-quality, low-error results with appropriate commenting and documentation as needed.
• Tune code to ensure efficient operation and acceptable performance.
• Review peer code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback on work output to ensure consistent team performance.
• Participate in release planning exercises as needed, and contribute to release notes and other documentation.
25% Problem Resolution:
Investigate and resolve application issues which may result from code defects, changes in associated systems, changes in data sources, etc. This may involve coordination with functional users, DBAs, other application developers and ITS Management.
10% Systems Analysis:
Identify and evaluate alternative application development approaches. Incorporate an understanding of the software environment as well as industry conventions and standards. Communicate as needed with software vendors, DBAs, Managers, functional users and peers to obtain information. Advise the functional users on module-specific matters. Review analysis and design work completed by other developers for logic, design flaws and feasibility.
10% Technical Design:
Using knowledge of data models, process models and existing environments, design new or modify existing processes, file structures, access methods, input procedures, output files, reports, and interfaces. Determine and document security needs. Write programming specifications and any input, output or process handling documents. Review and approve designs of others.
10% Testing and Documentation:
Develop test plans and data that will appropriately exercise the program code. Develop user documentation, technical documentation and migration control documents following Application Services and management guidelines.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university in CS, CIS, MIS or related field. (two years of related experience is equivalent to one year of education).
• Experience in Applications Development.
• Demonstrated experience developing Java web applications in a professional environment.
• Demonstrated experience developing complex SQL/PL-SQL queries.
• Five or more years of Application Development experience in higher education.
• Proficiency in Java or similar object oriented programming language.
• Understanding of APIs/API integrations using REST or JSON.
• Familiarity with Git or a comparable software versioning and revision control solution.
• Technical experience with the Ellucian Banner Higher Education system.
• Oracle SQL/PL*SQL experience.
• UNIX/Linux experience.
Important Note: Successful applicants will ensure their resumes clearly demonstrate that their work experience describes how they meet all qualifications.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.