API Architect at Uplight
Do you dream about creating a more sustainable future? At Uplight, we are motivating energy users and providers to accelerate the clean energy ecosystem. We’re working with over 90 of the world’s leading electric and gas utilities to provide a personalized end-to-end customer energy experience that helps meet and accelerate carbon reduction goals. We are a certified B Corp, enabling us to put our values into action by not only making decisions for the benefit of our shareholders, but also for our customers, environment, employees, and community.
We are seeking an API Architect to join our team and help us achieve our ambitious goals for our business and for the planet.
What you get to do:
We are searching for an API Architect who is passionate about building extensible API and SDK frameworks to be consumed and built upon by our team, customers, and ecosystem partners which provide a new foundation for the clean energy software ecosystem. You’ll work inside Step Change Labs (Uplight’s innovation and incubation arm) in close partnership with our Chief Innovation Officer and Chief Technology Officer to guide an iterative and agile deployment of new API’s and SDK’s on top of the Uplight Connect platform. Your primary focus will be the creation of a new unified developer platform that facilitates access and interaction with energy, smart home, and 3rd party data. This is an exciting opportunity to design the framework on which a multitude of utilities and 3rd party providers will build products that touch the majority of homes and businesses in the U.S. This is a high-visibility role as you’ll get to work side by side across strategic and technology leaders across Uplight, with our strategic partners and help shape the future of our platform product deployments across the ecosystem.
What you will contribute:
- Be excited to work with talented, committed people in a fast-paced environment
- Be passionate about reducing society’s carbon footprint and making a difference in the world
- Have architected and built API platforms and enjoy jumping from strategy to architecture to code review to partner conversations and back and forth in a dynamic set of problem-solving
- See technology as a means to change the business and the world around you, as opposed to the end in itself
- Love talking to your users -- in this case, you’ll be helping nurture a new community of developers and partner software companies both internally and externally
- Be ready, able, and willing to jump onto a call with a partner or customer to help solve problems
What you bring to Uplight:
- You are an experienced Architect - you ideally have a minimum of 7-10 years of professional experience.
- A strong technical background in topics relevant to this role such as API design, cloud software development, data storage patterns & schemas, and microservice & serverless oriented architectures -- although you need not be the expert in the room, you should feel very comfortable with the concepts and patterns
- A believer and practitioner of agile and lean concepts that result in MVP’s tested hypotheses, and iterative learning to yield the needed business and technology outcomes.
- An eagerness to simplify, but without letting perfect be the enemy of good. We are the product of several merged companies, so comfort with distilling redundant/complex systems incrementally is paramount.
- Excellent presence and public speaking skills: your team(s) will rely on you to lead architecture and integration, strategy, and critical project stewardship. Occasional interaction with partners/customers is expected.
- The willingness to “lead from the front” when times are tough
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company.
- An ability to develop relationships across the organization in support of efficient delivery of work.
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required.
- Experience on multiple cloud platforms (AWS, Google, Axure)
- Experience consolidating multi-stack architectures in an incremental fashion
- History of success in highly visible roles
- Solid experience with a growth-stage software company.
What makes working at Uplight amazing:
In addition to all the standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we:
- Are proud to be over 300+ rebels with an important cause by helping to create a more sustainable planet.
- Are committed to the environment, our employees, and our communities
- Focus on career growth by following defined career ladders
- Take our work and mission seriously and…. we love to laugh!
In addition, we:
- Provide a 401k Match
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Peer to Peer recognition program
- Management by objectives bonus plan (change if commission role)
- Innovated flexible time off
- Keep you energized with plenty of food and drink (when our offices reopen)
Salary Range: $120,000 to $148,000 (dependent on experience)
Uplight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.