Anti-Tamper Engineer - Staff Consultant at Ball Aerospace (Greater Denver Area, CO)
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Security and Mission Assurance Strategic Support Unit provides discriminating support to the business to ensure success. We focus on threat identification, risk assessment, and mitigation while improving the efficiency of the business through effective governance and analysis of process, data and overall business knowledge.
Anti-Tamper Engineer, Staff Consultant
The Anti-Tamper Engineer is responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of hardware-based solutions for protection of critical mission critical technology. This person will provide senior Anti-Tamper (AT) Subject Matter Expert (SME) support to major acquisition programs. They must have significant experience with policies and laws relating to AT. Looking for someone who has innovation, quick learning, excellent communication skills, strong leadership skills, and adaptive thinking.
From hardware design, to include power and communications routing, development and maturation of AT features. Participation in component trade studies to select optimal protection solution approaches. Verification of system design requirements and capabilities. Component and system-level penetration testing and assessment of theoretical reverse-engineering threat vectors and potential countermeasures. The SME will identify systems assurance and program protection risks and mitigating strategies, particularly in support of hardware assurance, to protect the United States’ most advanced technologies.
What you’ll do:
- Maintain a comprehensive and holistic system view while addressing stakeholder security risks and concerns regarding Anti-Tamper through the application of Systems Engineering skills.
- Ensure the effectiveness and suitability of the security elements within the systems as an enabler to mission success.
- Provide and communicate understanding of both the technical and programmatic aspects of a project to the project team as well as the customer.
- Develop and execute to an AT Plan containing a path to creating Threat Countermeasure Tree Analysis and Anti-Tamper Evaluation
- Support other tasks and areas of subject matter expertise, to include the Trusted & Assured Microelectronics (T&AM) program, AT, and Software Security Assurance, with Design Engineering subject matter expertise as required.
- Develop, review, and recommend AT microelectronics policy, guidance, training, and best practices that align its implementation across the mission acquisition lifecycle.
- Develop leading edge technical security architectures, anti-tamper designs, and reverse engineering solutions for critical customers.
- Deliver tactical embedded systems through close customer coordination and collaboration.
- Close collaboration with Commercial off-the Shelf (COTS) device developers to securely integrate COTS processors, Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs), and other components into weapons systems with expanded military environments.
- Quantify mission-level risk in trading assurance requirements with resiliency objectives
- Work with program and mission-system personnel to define, assess, model, and analyze system security requirements and systems-level architectures.
- Translate customer objectives into internal requirements, procedures, and products based on BPL (Ball Process Libraries) and ISO standards.
- Facilitate briefings to senior leadership and SMEs on program protection policy, guidance and expectation in the area of AT.
- Proven work experience implementing Anti-tamper solutions
- Promote development of a strong team by participation in key aspects of the project and mentoring junior team members.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS degree or higher Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Previous experience in the fields of Cybersecurity and/or Anti-Tamper is greatly desired. Familiarity with the embedded microprocessor design.
- Familiarity with Anti-Tamper architectures, to include AT System design and/or vulnerability assessment.
- Experience in FPGA and/or ASIC design.
- Experience defeating physical protection mechanisms, performing and defending against side-channel and fault-injection attacks, and/or reverse-engineering and exploitation of embedded systems hardware and protocols.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, strong written, communication, oral presentations skills, and ability to lead group discussions.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Current Clearance Required:
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $163,000 - $205,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status