Aerodynamics Stability & Control Engineer
Greater Denver Area
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom's first prototype will rollout by summer of 2020.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
We are seeking an Aerodynamic Stability & Control Engineer to join the aero team, and support flight test. You will be responsible for predicting handling qualities and performance, comparing test results to predictions, and maintaining and improving aerodynamic models.
A typical day at work would be:
- Developing tools to evaluate handling qualities and performance
- Real time test support of simulator and in flight tests
- Reduction of simulator or flight test data to verify handling qualities and performance
- Evaluating aircraft changes to improve handling qualities
- Presentation of test results and recommendations to the engineering and test organizations
- Processing CFD results into a force and moment database
- Excellent grasp of aerodynamics, and a first principles understanding of how aircraft features affect handling qualities.
- Possess a relevant engineering Bachelor's Degree.
- Have at least 3 years relevant experience in handling qualities and performance prediction.
- Real time support of handling qualities flight tests
- Be an effective communicator
Would be nice to have:
- Reducing flight test and simulator data sets
- Supporting experimental flight tests in real time
- Planning flight tests to gather S&C data
- Verification of handling qualities against Part 25 or MIL-STD-1797
- Communicating complex technical results to a wide audience
- Creating new scripts and figures using Matlab
- Tool automation using Python
- Post-processing CFD results into loads databases
- Working hands on with aircraft
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description