Aerodynamics Stability and Control Engineer
Greater Denver Area
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom's first prototype will rollout by summer of 2020.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
We are seeking an aerodynamics engineer to join the aero team to support flight test. You will be responsible for:
Predicting handling qualities and performance using proprietary tools.
Supporting system & structural development on the XB1 demonstrator
Planning and executing test plans, which will involve close coordination with Flight Operations.
Real time data monitoring will be part of the job.
Pilot in the loop simulator + full up flight testing will be conducted.
Assessing quality of flight test data.
Comparing test results to predictions.
Assisting in the maintenance and development of aerodynamic models.
A Typical Day Might Include
- Supporting Pilot-In-The-Loop simulation tests, which will involve planning, monitoring, and post-test analysis of the flights
- Reduction of simulator or flight test data to verify handling qualities
- Processing & presenting test findings to a wider audience
- Soliciting feedback from pilots, or other design disciplines
- Developing tools to evaluate handling qualities
- Flight Testing experience, which includes pilot in the loop simulator & flight tests
- Demonstrate a good grasp of aerodynamics
- A relevant engineering degree
- At least 10 + years relevant experience
- Effective communication skills
It Would be Great If You Had Experience
- Verification of handling qualities against Part 25 or MIL-STD-1797
- Communicating complex technical results to a wide audience
- Creating new scripts and figures using Matlab
- Tool automation using Python
- Working hands on with aircraft
- Post-processing CFD results into loads databases
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description