Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Civil Space Strategic Business Unit develops many of the world’s pioneering space and science missions. From delivering entire missions to contributing component level expertise, we value our role as a mission partner and our ability to provide science at any scale. Our team of scientists work with the science community to understand their missions and deliver systems that go beyond expectation.
Advanced Systems Manager II
What You'll Do:
- Support Civil Space business unit as mission area lead for Planetary science opportunities. This includes creating, finding, pursuing, developing, and winning business with governmental organizations in the areas of: Planetary science missions, technology development and other space-related work in the civil arena.
- Develop, maintain, and execute a broad strategy to grow Ball’s Planetary science business and market share. Successfully collaborate with Ball’s Washington, DC, office, Communications, Engineering, and other business units at Ball Aerospace.
- Understand the current decadal survey and have an in-depth knowledge of the decadal process.
- Engage principal investigators to develop highly competitive teams for science missions and technology development opportunities.
- Understanding of the current decadal survey and an in-depth knowledge of the decadal process.
- Develop and communicate messages, marketing, competition assessments, and customer insights.
- Lead business development, capture, and proposal teams.
- Prepare and submit proposals, AO responses, ROMS, RFI/RFQ responses, and white papers.
- Manage new business indirect budget projects for assigned area.
- Manage staffing needs for assigned area.
- Engage in regular communication with other Mission Area Leads on topics that include customer insights and priorities, internal investments, and forecasts and their impacts on overall Civil Space business.
- Oversee study efforts having the potential to evolve into new business capture opportunities.
- Maintain high-value contact with Planetary science stakeholders and user communities through leadership and participation on committees, advisory boards, workshops, and conferences.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS/BA in related field plus 10 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Two years of related experience may be substituted for each year of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- PhD preferred (e.g. Planetary science).
- Strong strategy development and proposal skills and demonstrated experience in leading design teams and new business capture activities in the areas of NASA Planetary science AOs and technology development opportunities.
- Ability to translate science/end user requirements into engineering requirements and to weigh relevant scientific and technical trades.
- Superb communication skills with documented presentation experience to senior decision-making and technical audiences.
- Demonstrable profile in and relationships across Planetary science community.
- Collaborative and inclusive style and ability to work with diverse colleagues and customers.
- Work is performed in an office environment
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $132,500 - $183,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.