Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
Guild is reinventing the Education Benefits category - bringing innovation to the tuition reimbursement software and corporate training programs of the Fortune 1000, helping thousands of working adults go back to school and improve their lives. Think Workday or Taleo for Corporate Education Benefits - a $17B market that’s ripe for disruption.
Guild’s education benefits software platform makes offering education as a benefit an easy choice for F1000 companies, with products and features that help HR leaders turn their education cost centers into a positive ROI. Meanwhile, Guild’s network of online, nonprofit universities and learning providers offer a consortium of classes, programs, and college degrees, along with college advising and retention coaching, helping each student navigate the worlds of work and college.
We are a mission driven, double bottom line company. In mid-2017, we closed a $21M Series B from top tier investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, Social Capital, Harrison Metal, and Cowboy Ventures and have expanded from our founding team to more than 65 employees. Our clients include Chipotle Mexican Grill, DaVita Healthcare Partners, HealthOne / Hospital Corp of America, Taco Bell, Denver Public School District, and the Public Service Credit Union. Now we’re building out our Finance team to support our growth and scale.
The mission of the Director of FP&A is to…
…build out robust and agile internal finance and business operations so we can rapidly scale. You will provide leadership to complex cross-functional projects and drive many of our core business operations, particularly finance, forecasting, and regular planning and goal-setting exercises. You will spot new opportunities, fill the gaps, act like an internal consultant and overall do whatever it takes to help the company improve our operations and scale quickly.
If you join Guild’s team as our Director of FP&A you will drive:
- Forecasting & Budgeting. Own the financial model and forecasting, which we use to plan future hiring and cash flow planning. Work with the CEO, VP of Finance & BizOps, and leadership across departments to plan and measure how resources are deployed, at the company and department level. Define and track KPIs to ensure resources are efficiently allocated and aligned to support broader business objectives.
- Goal Setting. Partner with leadership to manage the annual and quarterly company goal-setting process (OKRs).
- Business Analytics. Partner with team leads to help make financially sound, operationally efficient decisions on growth programs, pricing structures, product expansion, and other high priority projects. Analyze performance trends against our business metrics and provide thought leadership on key business KPIs, drivers, and areas for improvement.
- Corporate Strategy & Finance. Help guide Guild’s strategic direction with solid business modeling and decision analysis. Develop financing strategies, monitor market conditions, and help execute fundraising as needed. Drive other complex, high-priority, cross-functional initiatives, working closely with the CEO, VP of Finance, and senior leadership.
- Business Operations. Test new ideas and establish a culture of innovation through brainstorming, experimentation and postmortems. Work cross-functionally to analyze opportunities, synthesize findings, develop go-forward plans, and act as part of the ongoing team to translate recommendations into results.
- Board and Investor Reporting. Prepare presentations to Board of Directors, Investors, and Senior Management Team to ensure investors are knowledgeable and equipped to contribute to Guild’s growth.
- Systems / Process Building. Help continuously improve budgeting and reporting frameworks, tools, and processes to ensure access to timely, accurate, and actionable data company wide.
- Team. You will report to the VP of Finance & Biz Ops, Mae Podesta, work directly with Guild’s finance and analyst team, and work cross-functionally with all of Guild’s leadership team and operators.
We’ll prioritize the following experience and attributes as we evaluate candidates throughout the hiring process:
- Experience. 5-8 years of relevant work experience in SaaS FP&A, biz ops and operational finance, with investment banking, consulting, or private equity / growth equity experience a plus, as well as preference for an undergraduate degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Finance, Accounting, Engineering, Mathematics, etc.) and/or MBAs.
- Technical and problem solving skills. You’re an Excel expert will the ability to develop insightful financial models and quantitative analysis, paired with critical thinking and sound business judgment. SQL experience a plus.
- Entrepreneurial. You are a self-starter with a roll-up-the-sleeves, action oriented mindset to have an impact in a fast-paced, rapidly changing growth environment.
- Communication. You can distill and communicate complex topics broadly to board members, front-line team members, and everyone in between.
- Player-coach. You enjoy building teams and you have an ability to be both leader and “doer.”
- Team skills. You have a positive attitude with a can-do, service-oriented mentality. You are collaborative, with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and build successful working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Passion. You are passionate about serving our students and have an unrelenting drive to build an amazing business.
- Discipline. You have strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects/tasks with multiple stakeholders while hitting deadlines on time sensitive projects.
- Precision. You have sharp attention to detail with a natural feel for numbers and data, and a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. You are able to see the forest and the trees, but can get into the weeds when necessary.
Guild Education believes that a diverse and inclusive team will contribute toward our ability to achieve our mission and will dedicate intentional effort to building a team that reflects that belief.