Senior UX/Design Researcher at Xero (Greater Denver Area, CO)
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you'll make an impact
Our team researches, analyses and shares insights about the attitudes and behaviors of people that currently use Xero, as well as those who don't yet but might in the future.
You'll be learning about people's lives outside of their interactions with Xero, and observing their experience using Xero. You'll identify where people get stuck and why. You'll help the wider business focus on the most critical user problems and opportunities that we can address - then help discern if the changes we make get the results we want.
Our researchers work closely with others in the design team, engineers, and product management. You'll join a team of 12 specialist design researchers who work within our 85-strong design team that includes product designers and content strategists. We're spread around the globe, with people based in New Zealand, Australia, the United States, and Canada. Despite the distance, we're a tight-knit and collaborative group.
What you'll do
- Understand complex needs across product teams in order to design and lead research programs that inform particular teams as well the wider product group
- Work with others to develop an improved understanding and impact of the role of design research in our processes
- Identify user needs and problems through a variety of research methods, such as: interviews, usability testing, site visits and observation, diary studies, generative research, data analysis, and others as required.
- Generate insights from your research. Identify different user types and profiles, based on behaviors and attitudes, usage patterns, industries, roles, locations and other relevant characteristics
- Communicate user problems and user needs to the wider business in a way that easily translates your insights into actionable solutions
- Collaborate with product and design teams to implement solutions that fix user problems and address user needs
- Conduct follow up research to determine the success of those solutions
- You enjoy the challenge of making the complex simple, and you won't mind a bit of travel to make sure we get the best possible results
Success looks like
- The team delivers robust and rigorous research of all kinds that provides actionable insights to improve Xero's products.
- Designers, developers and product managers are involved in the team's work, and our research is well-regarded and sought after across the business.
What you'll bring with you (Critical competencies)
- Designing and conducting research using a variety of methods
- Highly developed analytical skills - you can distill what's important in your research and present it in ways that mean others understand too
- Ability to manage cross-functional stakeholders.
- Systemic and strategic thinking - you can join up your research with other data and research we have with Xero, and with trends and data from outside Xero.
- Communication skills - you can effectively communicate your ideas using a variety of approaches to all levels of the business
- Collegial skills - you're a organized, passionate, pragmatic and empathetic colleague, seeking to improve what we build, and how we do it
What you'll bring with you (Experience)
- 5+ years experience conducting and leading design or UX research
- Experience working within or alongside product teams
- Experience researching for digital products
Xero celebrates diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where our employees can do the best work of their lives. We are committed to transparency and to equal pay for equal work. Total compensation for this role includes a base salary of $122,000 - $148,000, commensurate with experience, plus an annual grant of Xero shares, calculated as a percentage of base salary.
Xero offers access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (in CA & CO only)
Xero will match 100% on the first 3% of 401k contributions plus 50% match on next 2% of contributions
Employees enjoy 21 days of paid time off per year
Employees also have 10 days of wellbeing leave to care for their minds, bodies, and families
US employees enjoy 11 paid holidays per year
Xero offers an industry-leading 26 weeks of parental leave at up to 100% pay
Xero offers a number of employee wellness programs, to include yoga, mindfulness and nutrition workshops, EAP, free flu shots, team meals, and a monthly wellbeing allowance
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, flexible working, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated. We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares and great parental leave policies.
Xero's collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you'll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Please note that we currently require all employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Xero will work with anyone who is not vaccinated, or prefers not to disclose their vaccination status, to determine if any reasonable accommodations can be provided to ensure their role can be performed safely whilst the restriction is in place..