Senior UX Designer at Pie Insurance
Greater Denver Area
!Sorry, this job was removed at 3:07 p.m. (MST) on Thursday, February 20, 2020
Help establish Pie as the leading commercial insurer among small business owners by assisting in designing intuitive online experiences that drive measurable business outcomes.
How You’ll Do It
As a Senior User Experience Designer, you’ll help our engineering, marketing, business and product managers solve the most important problems getting and using workers’ compensation insurance.
On a day-to-day basis, that means you may create wireframes, interview stakeholders, write user stories, conduct user acceptance testing, and track work in JIRA. Less frequently, you will design beautiful high-fidelity mocks, conduct usability testing, interview users, and dig in to find solutions for customer experiences beyond the realm of traditional UX. We realize this description covers a lot of things. As a Pie UX Designer, you will be working on a wide variety of UX initiatives and jumping in to help wherever needed. Pie must define and design easy to use insurance experiences that work both online and offline, across a variety of systems. We must execute on this to succeed, hence our investment in you. Pie’s user experience team works with both Denver and DC. This incredibly collaborative team is in tight, constant communication as we work to expand our digital experiences to service Pie
insurance agents, partner agents, and customers.
- Customer Experience Design: You’re an interaction design superstar. By the end of week one, you’ll be rolling out wireframes and requirements that deliver better experiences for our customers and partners. You are familiar with best practices in
- product design, interaction design (IxD), user experience design (UX), visual design, and information architecture (IA).
- Hunger to Learn: Not sure how we could use DocuSign functionality in our online
- quote form to make it easier for our customers to sign documents? You’ll figure it out over the weekend. How can we easily explain what an Experience Modification Factor is? You’ll chat with stakeholders and read online to figure it out.
- Ownership: You have owned shipping many, many user experience designs that have measurably improved performance. You have managed everything needed to get successful UIs to market as soon as possible.
- Soft skills: You have outstanding interpersonal skills and have experience gaining consensus and influencing others to get to the best user outcome.
- Communication: You quickly learn about complex business concepts and can break them down into easy-to-understand and easy-to-use online experiences. People can read and understand your user stories. You create effective reports, PowerPoints and design deliverables.
- Design Process Leadership: You’ve been responsible for ideating, designing,
- conducting QA, assessing, and subsequently improving many digital form UIs and flows in an Agile environment. You naturally design mobile first and think in responsive design.
- Prioritization: You proactively challenge the prioritization of projects and can scope down to a Minimal Viable Product whenever needed. You constantly ask if the direction of a project is meeting the business goal.
- Design Tools: You’re comfortable creating wireframes, high fidelity mockups, and
- prototypes using tools like Photoshop, Sketch, Balsamiq, or Axure.
- Organization: You take notes, prioritize requests, and juggle projects.
- Web Writing: You turn industry jargon into simple and concise copy.
- Urgency: You thrive on quick execution. You respond with lightning speed to texts and emails. You don’t let projects linger on your to-do list. You prefer an environment where execution is rewarded.
- Feedback: You look forward to getting feedback from customers, stakeholders and leaders to improve your design and work-style. You give feedback.
- User research: You have managed and executed many usability studies end-to-end. You understand user interview technique. You are comfortable managing third parties to conduct research for you.
- Quantitative Analysis: You’re familiar with extracting and analyzing quantitative customer data from CRMs (Salesforce, HubSpot etc.), web analytics tools (Google Analytics, Mixpanel), and survey tools (SurveyMonkey, Typeform etc.).
- Education: You have a bachelor’s degree, ideally in a field relevant to Customer Experience Design, such as HCI, Business, Marketing, Social Science, Design, Psychology, Engineering or similar. Master’s degree in HCI, Design or Research is helpful.
Whether It’s Right for You
You will be joining our team in our DC home office. Everything we do is connected, but we each have different roles. That means we need you to be a strong executor who is comfortable taking direction and working independently. We are a start-up. Being willing and able to adapt your work style is required.
This is not an entry-level role. While you’ll have on-the-job mentoring and knowledge-sharing, you’ll need to come in the door with certain skills. For starters, we expect you’ll have spent at least five years in a user experience role working with marketing, engineering, and customer data to deliver excellent experience that met business goals. Of course, you’ll also need certain skills and abilities to do the work:
Share your designs portfolio with us. Include multiple examples of form designs, interaction
design and anything else that shows you have what we need. Your portfolio can be as simple as a
list of link
Pie Insurance provides workers’ compensation insurance directly to small businesses online. Offering A.M. Best A rated coverage, Pie leverages data analytics, easy-to-use online features, and a seasoned team of insurance experts to create an insurance model that’s as easy as pie. We began offering insurance policies in 2018 with a mission of helping small businesses experience true savings and an unmatched level of service.
A fast-growing insurtech startup, Pie has home offices in Washington, DC, and Denver, CO. Our all-star team offers an incredible career opportunity where you can use your expertise to disrupt an industry and serve the SMB community.
Want a slice? In return for your commitment to us, you’ll get a piece of Pie. At Pie, we’re invested in you, and you in us.
Read Full Job Description