Product Design Team Lead at Invitae (Remote)
Invitae (NYSE: NVTA) is a leading medical genetics company trusted by millions of patients and their providers to deliver timely genetic information using digital technology. We aim to provide accurate and actionable answers to strengthen medical decision-making for individuals and their families. Invitae's genetics experts apply a rigorous approach to data and research, serving as the foundation of their mission to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people.
We are looking for a Product Design Lead with a user-centered focus to help lead, mentor, and grow Invitae’s product design practice. In this role you will work with a talented group of designers as well as product, engineering, and marketing partners to deliver inspiring experiences to our customers. You bring expertise in user-centered design principles, best practices, trends, and emerging technologies. You have a clear design sensibility and point of view and a solid track record of launching digital products. You are collaborative, results-oriented, and an excellent communicator that can influence product strategy and be an advocate for design and customers. Reporting to the Customer Experience Platform Product lead, you will work together to help grow the design function at Invitae to the next level.
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our dynamic organization, which has been designed to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
This role may be a good fit if…
- Building something from early on is your jam. Most of what we are building hasn’t been built before, so there is little precedence. Layer on top of that, the design function within Invitae is still quite young. You’ll be joining a young team, working on new things, and will have the opportunity (and challenges) with growing the team as the team and company are growing too.
- Doing right > being right. As a steward of a development team, you can drive prioritization consensus across business teams and serve as an effective liaison between business stakeholders and engineering. This means balancing lots of needs, sifting through business requirements, and landing on decisions that are not always unanimous.
- Freedom with accountability excites you. Having a short list of defined goals, you thrive in the autonomy of figuring out how to get there. You work closely with the engineering organization from concept design, development, testing, release, and maintenance of experiences to ensure quality and successful delivery and obsessively measure things to see how it performed so you and the team can learn and keep doing better.
- Data-informed bets are how you like to roll. Data being your friend, you like to have objective facts that help to inform decisions. But having perfect knowledge of outcomes is not possible, so you know when instinct and bets have their place, and how to make tradeoffs and decisions in the grey area
- You love learning from users. The role of user research and feedback is hugely important to you, and you seek out their insights to center decisions and approaches around.
- Exploring new ways to make technology work for healthcare inspires you. Healthcare is unlike other industries, and it comes with a tremendous opportunity for impact as well as a lot of unseen speedbumps. Navigating complexity, regulatory and otherwise, requires optimism, creativity and perseverance.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with the Platform Engineering and Product Manager leads in the Customer Experience Platform team to set priorities, vision and own the specific direction of the Product Design Team
- Help lead product design initiatives from user research to design thinking workshops to better define our hardest, most ambiguous problems
- Provide strong design oversight, mentorship and guidance to ensure quality, consistency and usability with teammates and our business partners
- Help grow the product design team through mentorship and coaching
- Lead by example with very strong design craft and ability communicate design decisions to multiple audiences
- Support and champion user-centered design across the organization
What you bring:
- 10+ years experience in design, including hands-on and team leadership experience
- Minimum 4 years of experience managing and building design teams
- A Bachelor’s or Graduate degree in HCI, Human Factors, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science or other related field
- A track record of managing a design team to meet the needs of a growing company
- Expert knowledge of user-centered design principles, design best practices, trends, and emerging technologies
- Experience working on customer-facing products and experiences
- Excellent communication skills
- Online portfolio or case studies showcasing skills
- A background in design for healthcare is a plus
- Experience integrating products from mergers and acquisitions is a plus
- Experience helping product designers plan projects using a user centered design approach
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
Please apply even if you don’t meet all of the “What you bring” requirements noted. It’s rare that someone checks every single item, it’s ok, we encourage you to apply anyways.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We truly believe a diverse workplace is crucial to our company's success and to better serve our diverse patients. Your input is especially valuable. We’d greatly appreciate it if you can take a quick moment to make your selection(s) below. Submissions will be anonymous.
You can find a detailed explanation of our privacy practices here.