Design practice and capability
- Work with GM Design, Product Design Directors in your portfolio and other Product Design Principal’s across portfolios to continually evolve and grow our design practice, processes, and capabilities to support the delivery of world-class product design solutions.
- Champion and drive product principles and practices, including exploring new critical thinking approaches to solve complex customer problems
- Promote collaborative design opportunities between designers to increase capability and robust design thinking
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of trends within the product and design industries
- Work closely with designers in your portfolio or initiative to mentor, build capability andensure quality is achieved consistently across the product
- Partnering closely with Design and Product Leaders to set the design vision and direction for a portfolio or initiative, raise the visual and interaction design quality and get teams working in a way that makes great products.
- Define a clear design vision that aligns to the broader direction and contribute to the product strategy of your initiative, portfolio or product area
- Collaborate with other Product Design Directors to ensure design is working towards a seamless end to end customer experience
- Collaborate with the product team to implement and improve design patterns, and when needed invent new design patterns
- Along with designers in your team, produce and share prototypes showing how a user will experience your solution – both the interaction flow and visual design solution
- Scale and evolve solutions to critical customer problems across multiple teams and areas of the business.
- Partner closely with researchers to understand customer needs and advocate to solve the right customer problems
- Influence, challenge and enable teams to deliver high quality product experiences.
- Work closely with Marketing, Product Management, and Engineering to deliver stunning and effective product interfaces
- Build and maintain positive relationships with other functions
- Maintain regular design sessions with designers in your product, portfolio and/or initiative
- Have a handle on roadmaps and upcoming design / technology challenges, guiding teams to navigate them successfully
- Work closely with pods, coaching/mentoring designers to make better product decisions.
Success looks like
- The designers impacted by you increase the consistency and quality of the experiences they deliver.
- The teams impacted by you have a greater awareness of all the connecting dots and how to achieve seamless experiences
- The teams impacted by you regard engaging with design practices as a pathway to success.
What you’ll bring with you
- Track record of innovating and delivering design experiences at scale
- Demonstrated quality in design craft, process and thinking
- Recognized as an expert within the field of design, with extensive design specialist knowledge
- Excellent communication skills
- An inclusive, collaborative approach that helps maintain our values and contributes to making Xero a great place to work
- Experience leading other designers working on complex software
- Experience building and iterating on a product based on usage patterns, user feedback and an evolving strategic landscape
- A portfolio that demonstrates high-quality design outcomes, contributing to user experience and business value
- A mastery of the entire design process from uncovering customer needs and pain points, to executing elegant interfaces