Manager, UX Design
Manager, User Experience
Our products hold the shadows at bay, shielding businesses from calculated and malicious cyber attacks. Our customers rely on us for detection, prevention and remediation of security risks. The user base we serve ranges from highly technical cybersecurity scientists to set-it-and-forget-it folks. Gauntlet, tossed.
We’re looking for a UX manager to lead our Boulder-based designers as a player-coach. Someone with serious interaction design expertise, who’s charged up by working on complex UX challenges. A builder at heart, always on the lookout for new promising techniques, who thrives on coaching and growing other designers, and is driven to make users’ lives easier and keep data safer.
Why You Matter
You need to know your work has purpose. You’re adept at managing your team be as effective as possible, but don’t like the idea of leaving hands-on UX design behind. You’re a seasoned designer who knows how to work effectively in an agile process. You’re obsessed with understanding customers, and can tell an engaging story to your teammates when sharing user discoveries. You collaborate well cross-functionally to deliver customer value, recognize that good ideas can come from anywhere, and recognize that skillful prioritization gets security capabilities to market faster.
Why Carbon Black
At Carbon Black we believe in continuous learning and improvement. We foster a blameless culture where trust is key. We work to bring out the best in one another. We value the individual and strive to be great team players. With us you’ll have the chance to make an impact in the ever-evolving cybersecurity field.
Our UX team of designers, writers, and researchers share your passion for bringing great UX to the enterprise space. We move fast, learn faster, collaborate enthusiastically and lay track on process as we go. You’ll be the first UXer in our growing Boulder location. You’ll be embedded on a cross-functional agile team, as will each of your two designers. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to connect directly with customers and prospects in the cybersecurity field.
What You’ll Do
· Manage a team of UX designers. Set goals, coach performance, reward achievements, foster career growth.
· Support team members’ success in our agile environment where each UX designer is a full member of one scrum team.
· Work with VP UX, to whom you’ll directly report, to align release goals and designs with UX strategic direction.
· Collaborate with other UX leaders to uphold the coherence of our shared platform, ensure that all designers share processes, and promote cooperation as part of our UX culture.
· Work with Product and Engineering leaders on the Boulder agile teams to clarify release goals, and exercise judgment to identify opportunities to deliver value to the market more quickly.
· Ensure UX Research is enlisted on most critical questions each sprint, and the Boulder UX Content is integrated with the work of each designer.
· Ensure UX team members use appropriate techniques and deliver artifacts of lowest necessary fidelity to meet cross-functional team’s needs, from design jams, to quick sketches, annotated wireframes and wireflows, and when needed polished mockups. Do the same in your hands-on work.
· Contribute to the shared pattern library.
· Participate in various forms of user research to help inform our product needs and product designs.
· Analyze effectiveness and efficiency of designs ruthlessly.
· Present design alternatives with confidence, and absorb feedback with grace.
What You’ll Bring
· 5 years’ experience delivering user experiences for complex web applications (not just websites).
· Experience as a team lead or manager.
· Excellence in interaction design, and information architecture, and ideally in visual designs and visualizations.
· Ability to apply established styles and leverage established patterns.
· Ability to execute in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
· Familiarity with research and facilitation techniques.
· Success on both blank-slate initiatives and on projects for established platforms and products.
· Ability to estimate UX work, assess and mitigate risk, and make tough prioritization calls, coordinating operationally with cross-functional team leads.
· Facility in presenting to and interacting with customers.
· Experience in at least one project in the security technology space is a huge bonus.
For serious consideration, please link to a portfolio or work samples.
What we’re interested in: your design process, techniques and methodologies; NOT merely polished or final visuals. We love to see sketches, workflows, annotated wireframes, sitemaps, user journeys, task analysis, brainstorms and other artifacts of how you tackled the design challenge from start to finish. It’s the journey that speaks to us, not just the finished product.