Global Reach Design Engineer at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and colocation services. Zayo owns and operates a Tier 1 IP Backbone and 44 carrier-neutral data centers. Through its Cloudlink service, Zayo provides low latency private connectivity that attaches enterprises to their public cloud environments. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The Design Engineer is responsible for partnering with sales, product, service delivery, and provisioning to provide technical support for customer solutions and design end-to-end circuits for services across the globe. The primary objective is to provide clear solutions to specific customer facing requirements that best leverage Zayo’s core network alongside our global partners.
• Analyzes service orders to determine appropriate circuit design and layout (M6/CLR).
• Designs and prepares detailed circuit layout records for end to end circuit delivery and interfaces with other internal departments to ensure coordination of all elements required for provisioning of service.
• Review and analyze costs savings initiatives via groom/design projects. Oversee the technical design of groom projects (review statement of work, design, layout, etc.)
• Ensure network management and utilization requirements for all transmission equipment are being met.
• Maintain facility inventory systems to ensure accurate and complete facility assignments.
• Identify and notify Engineering/Planning department of network congestion.
• Provides a variety of assistance and expertise to internal departments.
• Assists the Optical Engineers in the development and revision of internal procedures related to the processing and publication of CLRs.
• 3+ years in a telecommunications circuit design role that encompassed all aspects of circuit design from order acceptance to published CLR for all types of circuits.
• Hands-on knowledge of telecommunications equipment configuration.
• Experience with Salesforce and Metasolv database applications.
• In depth knowledge of telecommunications standards and protocols.
• High level understanding of network configuration and interworking.
• Practical knowledge of networks.
• Ability to initiate and comprehend complex designs and arrange detailed information in a logical format.
• Competency in navigating various database applications and MS software applications such as Excel, Visio and Word.
• Ability to manage a high-volume workload efficiently and effectively, while maintaining a precise attention to detail in an interrupted work environment.
• Self-initiated to gain the knowledge necessary to perform job duties at a high level in a technically changing environment.
• Solution oriented analytical problem solving skills.
• Competitive compensation
• Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
• Fitness membership discounts
• Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
-Key resource needed to build out full end to end solutions post-sale: Reviews SE COR form/notes to build out needed Interco EB/SOs for Service Delivery.
-Reviews engineering design to ensure capacity availability and network routing is an effective use of overall Zayo resources.
-When in-flight changes are made to existing SOs and existing services, acts as key stakeholder to review impact on delivery, network capability, and overall design. Updates internal records to reflect layout changes.
-Maintains circuit records and updates design/inventory following end to end testing/handover of services to end customer.
-Involved in cost savings initiatives such as groom/design projects with Engineering. Reviews/oversee technical design implications.