Who are we?
We’re Dice, eFinancialcareers and ClearanceJobs, services of DHI Group, Inc. — where we're connecting futures now. We help connect professionals with the careers they want and companies with the talent they need, and we achieve this by providing online access to relevant and meaningful jobs, candidates, and insights within each of the communities we serve.
Why work with us?
We provide opportunities for you to contribute to our success, within a collaborative team where your opinion matters!
We challenge you to do exciting work while helping you grow your career!
We offer competitive pay, benefits and programs for you and your family to live healthy and secure!
We host social events for you to connect with other across our company and markets!
We serve the communities where we're located, and the causes important to you!
What is this opportunity?
We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled VP of Engineering to lead our data-focused teams. You will become a member and senior leader part of the broader DHI software engineering group. The right person will have demonstrated a significant career progression of leadership and technical responsibilities.
This role will oversee our three data-related teams; Data Science, Data Warehousing, and Business Insights & Analytics. These teams are the primary owners of DHI’s Big Data ecosystem which support our three market-leading career brands – Dice.com, eFinancialCareers, and ClearanceJobs. They also support a number of internal functions; sales, finance, marketing, HR. In addition to providing reporting, analytics, and insights for these customer groups, the data science group also provides cutting-edge technology that enriches our career brands – including skills mapping, career pathing, search relevancy, and much more.
We believe in both proven, established, best practices as well new, innovative ways of solving interesting and difficult data engineering problems across DHI’s brands. Our technology stack is a mixture of commercial as well Open Source products – we believe in using the right tool for the right job. We are leveraging both MS SQL Server and embracing AWS (S3, RedShift, Athena, etc.) as our strategic platform going forward and are always evolving and enhancing. Our primary reporting/visualization platform is currently Tableau, but we are always looking to evolve.
In addition to building exceptional products that will enable our recruiting solutions such as Dice.com to connect the best professionals with the best career opportunities, you will also be responsible for leading several teams of highly qualified and motivated engineers, managers/directors, and architects.
This position requires that you have had significant hands-on experience in many of the technologies used. While you probably wouldn’t be writing code in this role – although you could! – you should expect a mixture of overseeing the technical work (architecture, design standards and reviews, setting standards for testing, build/deploy pipelines, peer reviews, etc.), leadership work (directing traffic, career development, project management, etc.), and assisting in setting the strategic direction of the technology organization and ensuring that it’s aligned with DHI’s overall strategy.
- Defining and implementing overall data strategy – from aggregation, to analysis & mining, to usage and visualization
- Consistent, incremental, and predictable delivery of data-related solutions for internal and external customers
- Managing the overall budget related to data storage & processing, people, and vendors
- Overseeing data architecture, design, development, automated testing, performance analysis, and deployment efforts of the data-related teams
- Defining, implementing, and leading Data Governance across all of DHI in collaboration with other key stakeholders
- Ensuring alignment of roles & responsibilities within your teams and with the rest of the engineering organization
- Collaborating with other senior leaders and architects on evolving DHI’s overall systems architecture
- Collaborating with product managers on setting the overall direction and roadmap
- Ensuring project status is clearly communicated to team members and business users
- Ensuring operational support and tier 2/3 escalations – and building products where that rarely happens!
- Mentor and coach engineering teams to improve process and technical capability, coach and mentor directors and mentors on leadership aspects
What are we looking for in this role?
- 3-5 years’ experience as senior technical leader overseeing other managers and architects
- 5-7 years as a technical lead or architect
- 10-12 or more years’ hands-on experience with analyzing, designing, coding, building, testing, and deploying data intensive systems in a business environment
- Experience developing and leading teams within a formalized Agile environment required
- Broad hands-on experience with various data related tools and technology such as relational databases, reporting solutions, data integration tools, data warehousing, data modeling, visualization
- Recent experience leading development of cloud-native Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence solutions based on AWS required (RDS, DynamoDB, Redshift, Glue, QuickSight, etc.)
- Recent experience leading development within the broader AWS platform required – EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, CloudWatch, IAM, MQ/SQS, Serverless, etc.
- Recent hands-on experience with data modeling tools and concepts
- Recent hands-on experience with CI/CD tools (Jenkins, automated testing, etc.) preferred
- Experience with infrastructure tools such as Docker, Terraform, CloudFormation, Puppet a plus
- Experience with search platforms such as Solr and Elasticsearch a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- You take pride in delivering innovative value and increased capabilities to the market, mentoring true software craftsman and have a passion for using technology to innovate.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, IS or a related field strongly preferred