Staff Software Engineer – Data Platform Engineering at CircleCI
Data is at the very core of the decisions we make at CircleCI. We leverage our wealth of data to help build our product, understand our customers’ needs, and to help those customers make better engineering decisions themselves.
We’re looking for a talented, leadership focused engineer to join the team serving as the stewards of that data - our Data Platform team.
The team that you will be a key part of is a talented group of engineers focused on delivering the tools, processes, and products used to get our data into the hands of teams across our organization and to our customers. You will be working on ingesting, curating, and publishing data to and from a variety of sources from our own product to the tools we use to do business.
This is a full-time role in Canada, hired through our affiliate Continuous Labs.What You’ll do on the Data Platform Engineering Team at CircleCi
- Design, build, and automate pipelines for ingesting data from across our product and third-party tools
- Curate and maintain core data sets that power our most critical business processes and decisions
- Help select, prototype, architect, and Implement tooling and libraries and build and maintain the infrastructure that support accessing our data in a variety of systems
- Design and implement the processes that protect our customers’ data privacy through data governance and data security implementations like redaction and access control
- Participate in an on-call rotation for our data platform services and infrastructure
- Prior, proven data platform or data infrastructure experience
- 5+ years of professional experience building and debugging data-focused or infrastructure systems in a SaaS environment
- You write code that’s easily readable, testable, and maintainable, with an eye towards building in observability from the start.
- You’re comfortable with modern data engineering and data platform tools and programming languages. Technologies like Python, MongoDB, and Postgres don’t scare you, and you have used tools like Snowflake, Redshift, or BigQuery in previous roles.
- You’re good at managing the ambiguity of a small, rapidly-growing company: adjusting to changing priorities, making conscious tradeoffs when guidance is limited and information is incomplete, and instituting best practices from scratch when needed.
- You can adopt a product-first mindset to build quality software that meets the customer’s needs and expectations.
- You work transparently and collaboratively within a distributed team.
- You favor regular, incremental delivery of value over perfection.
- You’re excited about ensuring that all of our systems-software and human-scale smoothly.
- You strive for continuous learning and improvement for yourself and your team.
This role equals level E4 - Staff Software Engineer - on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectation for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.
We know there’s no such thing as an “ideal” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.Distributed teams at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with offices in San Francisco, Toronto, Japan, and teammates across the globe. We would be hiring you as a full-time employee based in Canada, with the option to work remotely.How to apply:
Submit your application online via the Apply Now button. Please include a cover letter that describes why you're interested in working for CircleCI and summarize how your experience and career goals fit the qualifications for the position.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Some content from our blog that may be interesting to you:
- How to Get Hired at CircleCI
- A Letter to Future CircleCI Employees
- How We Uphold Our Inclusive Values as a Global Team