Staff Engineer - Data Platform at Workiva
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer with deep experience designing and developing API connectors to join our Wdata team. The ideal candidate will have experience working in an enterprise environment writing Java-based, cloud and on premise software that utilizes multiple ERP APIs such as SAP, Oracle, and Microsoft Dynamics. This person should have a background implementing auto-updating software with strict compliance requirements. Leading the way in creating our integration strategy, this person will play a critical role in increasing the functionality of our Workiva platform and give our customers the ability to compile data from multiple sources.
At Workiva we create best-in-class, next-generation collaborative solutions for enterprise productivity. We pride ourselves on bringing the consumer level user experience to business users. We love our customers, and they love us back. We hire smart, talented people with a wide range of skills who are eager to take on some of today’s most challenging problems. Workiva started with an idea: to make complex collaboration easy. Our platform simplifies complex collaboration while keeping data in sync, thus reducing risk. Thousands of companies globally, including over 75% of the 500 largest U.S. corporations by total revenue, use our platform.
*We will consider remote applicants as well as those looking to work in the following offices:
What You'll Do:
- Identifies & Fulfills Customer Needs & Requirements: Identifies and clearly articulates customer needs and requirements and writes code that meets those needs and also serves the larger business needs of the company
- Provides leadership for the product team to fully understand and resolve issues, concerns, and problems that result in delivering high quality product components
- Recognizes the implications of work being done for addressing the needs and concerns of the larger customer base of Workiva and growing the business
- Software Engineering Lead: Identifies customer or platform needs and requirements and occasionally performs duties associated with the platform/application product owner role
- Develops and maintains a complete and thorough understanding of all aspects of the software components they are responsible for. This is not limited to code, and includes all aspects of the software development lifecycle, including concept, prototyping, requirements gathering, development, test development, benchmarking, monitoring, analytics, technical support, customer support etc.
- Supports Product Development Manager or Architect to lead the build effort
- When serving in product owner role, maintains the backlog, coordinates teams, and works to resolve interdependencies with other product teams
- Provides technical support to the Product Development manager - leveraging technical understanding of product functionality in defining customer requirements and designing optimal solutions
- Software Development Planning: Accurately forecasts and plans solution development team deliverables and timelines
- Forecasts level of team effort in terms of cost, quality, and timelines
- Estimates and works within planned budgets and timelines, and ensures quality of finished product
- Manages dependencies between teams in forecasting and planning
- Knows team’s capabilities and the scope and level of anticipated effort to produce intended results
- Application/Component Design: Designs complete innovative applications or solutions to meet customer needs and requirements
- Provides leadership for the development team in generating innovative solutions
- Leads team members to explore new approaches that will provide optimal solutions to identified issues
- Collaborates with architects and product managers to design complete software products that can be leveraged to meet a broad range of customer needs and requirements
- Programming & Testing Code: Creates, modifies, and tests code that meets customer requirements with minimal need for re-work and performs thorough unit testing, and considers full range of implications of a given solution on other related applications and functionality. Generally advances the state of the product area they work within and are widely recognized for their contributions to a given area.
What You'll Need
Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming to include a solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, object-oriented software design, and working with cloud- based distributed systems
- Preferred 7 years experience in software development
- Preferred experience working in an agile development environment
- Preferred experience leading a team
- Experience programming in one or more of: mobile computing, SQL, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon AWS, database design, web application design, MVC patterns, Dart, Go, knowledge of HTTP and web protocols are a plus
- Experience building unit tests and integration tests of code - as important as skill in writing code
- Solid testing background is a strong indicator of a good fit with the Workiva environment
- Less than 10% travel
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Less than 10% travel to meet with customers, vendors, and suppliers; attend trade shows; meet with teammates in remote locations
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: Rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
- Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Resource Groups, (Women in Tech, Women in Sales, Ethnic Diversity, Veterans, Rainbow (LGBTQ), Remote Employees, Caregiving) Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
- Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.
Learn more: https://www.linkedin.com/company/workiva/life/
Workiva is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We believe that great minds think differently. We value diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, and we recognize diversity as an important source of intellectual thought, varied perspective, and innovation. Employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other protected characteristic.
Workiva is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. To request assistance with the application process, please email [email protected].