SpotX is the leading video advertising platform shaping digital video and the future of TV globally and is headquartered in Denver with 10 offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC regions. In the US, SpotX works with nearly all major OTT stakeholders and reaches 4 out of 5 viewers of ad-supported CTV, or 50 million households.
The Staff Engineer, Big Data role will interface with business, product owners, and other engineering teams to develop and deliver timely, high quality "big data" datasets in support of reporting through software like Tableau, Superset, Hadoop, Spark, Airflow, and Druid. Focus area will be on developing applications and production jobs to process and deliver data to the SpotX Data Warehouse.
- Build pipelines to process data in the billions of records per day using Hadoop, Spark and Map-Reduce
- Build and schedule robust Airflow DAGS to automate workflows
- Develop and maintain accurate and robust data sources from large datasets
- Work closely with data analysts to support reporting
- Perform Root cause and corrective action assessments of data discrepancies, often with minimal information to go off
- Build new features and applications to meet the needs of our customers and business
- Support software creation, maintenance, and enhancements
- Diagnose problems at massive scale
- Work with management and product team in accurately planning and executing sprints
- Perform additional duties assigned by management
Requirements and Experience:
- At least 3 years of experience with "big data"
- Bachelor's Degree (BA or BS) from four-year college or university, or 3+ years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience (Computer Science or Software Development is a plus)
- Fundamental experience in "big data" with distributed computing and systems is preferable but not required (our stack includes Hadoop, Hive, and Spark, but equivalent experience in platforms like AWS/S3, Redshift, Snowflake, Azure, or GCP is acceptable)
- Scala or Java experience is a plus
- Comfortable working in a Linux/Mac development environment
- Possess strong analytical skills, with the ability to analyze raw data
- Effectively manage multiple tasks, large and small, delivering accurate and timely data
- Work independently in a fast-paced environment, often without formal requirements and with minimal supervision
- Be a highly motivated self-learner that's willing to dig into hard problems
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- This position is based in Denver, CO and includes competitive pay, unlimited time off, a comprehensive benefits package (including medical, dental, vision insurance), 401k matching program, education assistance, gym reimbursement, parental leave and an annual technical education stipend.
- The base compensation range for this role, depending on level: $100,000 - $150,000. Total compensation for this role also includes a variable component in addition to base compensation.
- At SpotX, we strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. We hire based on experience and potential, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state, or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
- COVID-19 Precautions: remote interview process, virtual onboarding for new hires
- An innovative company building best-in-class technology from 10 offices around the world (including Denver, New York City, London, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo and Belfast)
- A fun, casual, and collaborative culture with a commitment to work-life balance
- An award-winning organization, check out our latest accolades here
- Committed to work life balance, offering a company-wide annual holiday break: our offices are closed from Christmas to New Years
- Proud to give back through the SpotX for Change Program matches up to $250 per year of employee donations to charities. SpotX contributed over $50K to charitable organizations in 2020
- Featured on The Muse, learn more about our company and view employee testimonials here
- In the news...check out our latest updates here
We LOVE our customers.
We BELIEVE in our people.
We RESPECT each other.
We are DRIVEN.
We are SPOTX.
SpotX is the leading video advertising platform shaping digital video and the future of TV globally. The company’s solutions enable media owners to monetize content across all screens and streams while providing advertisers with direct access to brand-safe, premium inventory. With best-in-class technology purpose-built for video, SpotX’s trusted, privacy-compliant solutions are employed by some of the largest media owners in the world including A+E Networks, Crackle Plus, The CW Network, Dentsu CCI, Discovery, Electronic Arts, Fox Corporation, fuboTV, Gannett, Microsoft, Newsy, Pluto TV, Roku, Sling TV, and Vudu. In the US, SpotX works with nearly all major OTT stakeholders and reaches 4 out of 5 viewers of ad-supported CTV, or 50 million households. SpotX is a subsidiary of Bertelsmann’s RTL Group and is headquartered in Denver with 10 offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC regions. Learn more at www.spotx.tv.