Sr. Database Engineer at Vertafore
Vertafore is a leading technology company whose innovative software solution are advancing the insurance industry. Our suite of products provides solutions to our customers that help them better manage their business, boost their productivity and efficiencies, and lower costs while strengthening relationships.
Our mission is to move InsurTech forward by putting people at the heart of the industry. We are leading the way with product innovation, technology partnerships, and focusing on customer success.
Our fast-paced and collaborative environment inspires us to create, think, and challenge each other in ways that make our solutions and our teams better.
We are headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with offices across the U.S., Canada, and India.
As a Lead Database Engineer, you will be responsible for database administration, design, development, and support applications available systems. You will be responsible for continuously enhancing the automation process of the database and should have an interest in DevOps to help us improve our software engineering practices. You will be required to work closely with multiple stakeholders in order to understand their database needs. After understanding their needs, you will make recommendations and provide self-services offerings that will allow stakeholders to deploy, monitor, and maintain the correct databases for their business.
You will work with fast-paced, skilled team of engineers and developers across multiple high-profile projects. You will also participate in IT projects from inception of the project up and through the daily maintenance phase of a project. You should have good understanding of cloud concepts. If you are a top-notch Database Engineer and looking for the next challenge, apply now!
Core Requirements and Responsibilities:
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
Primary Skill - SQL Server: Secondary Skill – PostgreSQL, MongoDB
· Required: Experience with AWS database administration, deployments, ideally EC2 and RDS SQL Server.
· Resolve complex problems by investigating and devising solutions for database operations. May include installations, configuration, tuning, identifying/resolving complex query bottlenecks and maintenance of database management
· Partner with multiple product teams to ensure appropriate integration of functions to meet goals as well as identify and define necessary system enhancements to deploy new products and process improvements
- Hands-on end-to-end Database Development encompassing Database Design and Development working with cross-functional teams.
- Should be able to debug application code written in PL SQL and T SQL for different applications.
· Develop automation frameworks (Infrastructure as code, CI/CD pipelines) and tooling that will be consumed by the entire engineering organization.
- Understand the business priorities and requirements; architect/develop solutions to meet the business need and lead execution.
- Work as an individual contributor and collaborate with multiple teams/vendors/consultants in an effective manner.
- Advanced knowledge in Transactional Replication, Clustering, SQL Always-on
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience in infrastructure automation through Powershell, Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Puppet or other automation tool is highly advantageous
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 4+ years of expert knowledge and experience in SQL Server administration, PL/SQL development and other DB type (MongoDB, PostgreSQL)
- 3+ Years Prior Database Administration Experience Preferred
- 2+ years of AWS cloud experience preferred
- 2+ years of DevOps experience preferred
- RDS/Aurora Postgres, MongoDB or Oracle administration experience desirable
- Enhance automated functions including monitoring, backing up, recovering, increasing availability, user management, access to controls and logging audits.
- MS SQL Server, Integration Services (SSIS) experience required.
- Strong T-SQL scripting abilities and understanding of complex stored procedures, views, data aggregation/manipulation through table joins/queries, database design, normalization and de-normalization techniques.
- Knowledge of SQL, data warehousing and data management concepts.
- Familiarity with standard tools and platforms that enable continuous delivery such as GitLab, Octopus Deploy, Kubernetes and ServiceNow.
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge of BI areas including ETL and ELT design, analytics and reporting, warehouse staging, data mart creation.
- Analysis Services (SSAS), AWS Quick Sights experience a plus.
- Nice to have experience with multi-tenant systems
- Demonstrated desire and ability to learn technologies quickly
- Possesses good oral and written communication skills.
- Contributes to a positive team environment.
- Enjoys finding and implementing solutions to new challenges.
- Proactively asks questions and learns about our products.
- Effectively multi-tasks and adapts to change.
- Coordinates workloads of senior DBE staff
- Mentors Production Operation DBEs on database technologies and methodologies
- Provide guidance and support to the enterprise, act as single point of contact for database related issues
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting abilities.
- Participate in On Call rotation schedule as part of 24x7 service requirement
- Ability to generate concise and efficient documentation around various DBE activities
Additional Requirements and Details:
Travel required up to 10% of the time.
Located and working from an office location.
Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds.
Frequent repetitive hand and arm movements required to operate a computer.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (working on a computer, etc.).
Frequent sitting and/or standing.
*We are currently working remotely due to COVID19.
The Vertafore Way
Insurance is about relationships, and technology should make those relationships stronger. That's why, at Vertafore, it's our mission to transform the way the industry operates by putting people at the heart of insurance technology. By focusing on our customers, becoming better every day, and delivering results you can see, we provide the level of trust and security that insurance is all about.
· Bias to Action: We're united by an innate drive to take action and make a difference in the technology and insurance spaces.
· Win Together: We work together as one team, showing empathy and respect along the way.
· Show Up Curious: We work to challenge one another to push boundaries and think beyond the box.
· Say It, Do It: We honor every one of our commitments because integrity is important to us.
· Customer Success is Our Success: We cultivate authentic relationships and follow up by actively listening to their needs.
· We Love Insurance: We appreciate the impact insurance has on the world.
Is this role not an exact fit for you? Keep an eye on our Careers Page for other positions!
Vertafore is a drug free workplace and conducts preemployment drug and background screenings.
The selected candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the job responsibilities, duties, skill, or working conditions. In addition, this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Vertafore strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
We do not accept resumes from agencies, headhunters, or other suppliers who have not signed a formal agreement with us.