Sr. Data Engineer
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults in America, providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our education benefits platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees, and our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions helps provide every Guild student with the right academic pathway to advance their education and career. In order to achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students and accelerate our growth, we recently raised a $21M Series B round with top tier investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, Social Capital, Harrison Metal, and Cowboy Ventures. Now, we’re looking to add a Data Engineer to the team.
As a Sr. Data Engineer at Guild, you’ll work across teams to help us build the next generation of our data products. You’ll work with Tom, Sean, and others to find the right mix of data infrastructure and data pipelines needed to support growth and scale within our education network and SaaS platform. Ultimately, you’ll help change the landscape for how we think about delivering education products to learners across the country by building a digital solution that connects students, employers, and universities to deliver education at an affordable price to students.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Designing, building, and expanding Guild’s backend data infrastructure, including data pipelines, ETL, data ingestion, data APIs, and data warehouses
- Building APIs that can be used internally or externally to serve crucial information across systems, partners, and teams
- Translating complex business requirements into usable, scalable data models and systems
- Mentoring other engineers and analysts on the team and sharing technical knowledge to enable others to be more effective at their jobs
In this role, you’ll expand your expertise by:
- Evolving our data products now and in the future by contributing to our backend data architecture
- Working in an agile team environment with a high performing engineering team
- Taking on a cross-functional role that will expose you to the ins and outs of Guild (working with our Product, Design, Client Success, and Student Services teams)
- Receiving feedback through our learning-focused, twice annual Structured Growth Conversations
You’ll know if you’re successful by:
- Choosing and leveraging the latest technologies in data engineering to automate data integration and loading, such as, Amazon Redshift, Redis, Java, Scala, Spark, Kafka, Python, S3 and PostgreSQL
- Leveraging your experience to design solutions that will be the backbone of a highly scalable, reusable, backend data infrastructure
- Ensuring our data is clean, accurate, and secure
- Thriving in fast-paced and scaling environment
You’ll join a team:
- From diverse backgrounds – from traditional higher education, to athletic coaches, to politicians, to mental health professionals (and more!)
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
What you’ll add to Guild – as an individual and part of the broader team:
- Experience building data pipelines, custom ETL processes and data warehouses
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as Java, Python, or Scala
- Expertise in database technologies such as Redshift, PostgreSQL, Redis, and working with large sets of data
- Experience deploying solutions to cloud technology services such as Amazon Web Services
- Experience improving software products through engineering best practices such as refactoring, reusability, TDD and continuous integration
- A proven ability to thrive in changing environments by having a fast, flexible, cooperative work style
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to other engineers, analysts, product managers, and stakeholders.
- Experience with BI tools such as Looker, Tableau, Kibana, Chart.io, etc.
- Basic experience in statistical analysis, text processing, and machine learning
- Passion for higher education and our mission – Guild is pioneering a new path for education as a benefit in a complicated and regulated space – success means quickly and effectively adapting your expertise
- A drive to work hard and plan for how you can refresh/recharge while working in a startup
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!
To apply, please submit a link to your code portfolio and answers to the prompts below along with your resume.