SQL Server DBA at KPA
Greater Boulder Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 10:15 p.m. (MST) on Thursday, February 27, 2020
KPA (www.kpa.io) is a proven SaaS technology and services partner for corporate compliance and human resource professionals seeking opportunities to raise productivity, control expense, and mitigate financial and reputational risk via business process automation, improved safety and workplace compliance, and better HR practices. With KPA’s proven portfolio of end-to-end solutions and operational best practice clients can unlock opportunities to drive down costs, mitigate risk, and enhance the employee experience at a lower cost than clients can achieve internally.
Founded in 1986, KPA is owned by Providence Equity Partners, a top-tier private-equity company, and is focused on delivering SaaS solutions to the small and mid-size business (“SMB”) markets.
KPA's Database Administrator has knowledge in both Microsoft SQL Server 2016 and MySQL database technologies and a keen sense of performance optimization, security, monitoring and troubleshooting. Some of the key responsibilities of the DBA include installing and configuring, updating database tables, backing up and recovering databases, building table indexes, and identifying and optimizing database query performance. The DBA will need to be available to work nights and weekends during product deployments to support client maintenance windows.
The following is an overview of some (not all) of the top priorities for this role over the first 12 months:
In the first 2 weeks you will:
Install Visual Studio Database Project for SQL Server.
Have a running development environment confirmed by successfully building the Database Project for one of the existing web products.
Restore obfuscated databases on local development environment.
Connect to the different development environments.
In the first 30 days you will:
Utilize Visual Studio SQL Server Data Tools to build, debug, maintain, and refactor databases inside Visual Studio and maintain changes in Azure DevOps code repositories.
Identify five performance related issues with the recommended solution which need to be fixed on the database server.
Review and gain knowledge of the database monitoring tools used in Production.
Review and understand the various jobs and processes running against the database servers.
Begin working database helpdesk tickets and manage work items in Azure DevOps.
Understand the database obfuscation process.
Understand the implemented security processes.
In the first 90 days you will:
Work closely with DevOps team to further automate database deployment processes and facilitate CI / CD pipelines.
Develop a tactical approach to fixing issues reported by the database monitoring tools.
Review and report access discrepancies to highly secure data.
Review and adjust indexing strategy to one database on the server.
Participate in the Production deployment process.
Handle all database helpdesk tickets.
Restore QA/UAT environments on request.
In the first 6 months you will:
Evaluate SQL Server options for future cloud strategy and rehosting to Microsoft Azure.
Review and adjust as needed the indexing strategy for all databases.
Handle all Production deployments.
Fix or Report all issues relating to the database.
Provide weekly performance summary of the database infrastructure.
Review and Report any database access irregularities.
By the end of the first year you will have:
Reduced the time to build new SQL Server environments through automated processes.
Demonstrated knowledge of the all database environments for the business.
- 5 years of experience working as a DBA
- 2 years of experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2016 and greater
- 2 years of experience with MySQL and greater preferred
- 1 Year on-call troubleshooting experience with at least one production database server
- Ability to create and monitor databases
- Strong database querying skills
- Ability to create backup / recovery of databases
- Knowledge of disk space and memory management for database servers
- Experience to change users and user privileges
- Knowledge of database security best practices
- PowerShell experience preferred
- Experience with SQL Server Data Tools or Redgate Data Tools preferred
- Experience with Azure DevOps, Octopus Deploy or TeamCity preferred
- Experience performing upgrades between versions, especially 2016 to 2017/2019
- Experience working with Extract, Transform, and Load ETL tools; SSIS prefered
- Experience working with PowerBI preferred
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science/Computer Information Systems or equivalent
As a growing company KPA values its employees by supporting them with a full benefits package including:
- Medical (both PPO and HSA plans available)
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- 401(k) match with immediate vesting
- Life Insurance
- Short and long term disability insurance
Read Full Job Description