Software Engineer, Data
We’re looking for a talented engineer to help us build the communication fabric that enables data to flow effortlessly between Gusto systems and 3rd party services.
The goal of Gusto’s data platform is to make all Gusto data accessible and queryable for applications spanning business intelligence, product analytics, predictive modeling, and data-driven product features.
- Build pipelines to ingest and transform data from all application data stores, logs, product analytics, and 3rd party services into our S3/Athena (Presto) data lake.
- Work closely with the Business Intelligence team to build our Enterprise Data Warehouse and support data-driven decision making.
- Support the Data Science team in training, productionizing, and deploying machine learning models.
The service platform is a new initiative at Gusto laying the groundwork for the modularization of our systems. This is a unique opportunity to help design the next generation of Gusto’s software architecture and integration standards, enabling the entire engineering team to develop software faster, more reliably and in a more maintainable way for the long term.
- Identify tools and patterns to solve common engineering challenges like schema/interface definition, messaging, and remote procedure call.
- Create well-defined service interfaces for existing product functionality and extract core services into loosely coupled modules.
- Embed with other engineering teams to understand their pain points, advise on API design, and assist with large service extraction projects (bring your war wounds from past work on monolith refactoring).
What we’re looking for:
- At least 6 years of software engineering experience.
- Experience working on projects with engineers as users (ex: libraries, services, or platforms).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Enjoys writing documentation and mentoring other engineers.
- Passionate about emerging technologies, but diligent about not always jumping on the latest, shiny new thing.
- Experience with stream or message based integration (ex: Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ) and data pipelines (ETL).
- Familiarity with schema/interface definition tools (ex: Protobuf, Thrift, JSON Schema).
- Experience with SOA (service oriented architecture) or EAI (enterprise application integration) patterns.
- Experience with batch and streaming data transformation tools (ex: Hadoop/Spark).
- Solid understanding of cloud architecture patterns, Docker, and AWS (or comparable cloud platform).
Learn more about Gusto Engineering with a few highlights from our blog:
- How We Built a Service-Driven Team
- Our Diversity Goals and Efforts
- Our Principles and Values
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.