Senior/Principal Scientist - Oncology R&D Assay Development
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Residing in our Boulder, CO office, the Senior/Principal Scientist will join our Oncology R&D team and contribute key capabilities, expertise, and vision to our Personal Cancer Monitoring (PCM) oncology program.
The Senior/Principal Scientist will be responsible for the design, execution, and critical evaluation of experiments and studies conducted in support of PCM product development, optimization, and scale-up efforts. This role will require multi-functional leadership skills and close collaboration with other scientists, engineers and technicians in the R&D, Software, Engineering, Quality Control, and Manufacturing departments to support evidence-based decision making and strategic process improvement.
As a member of the PCM team, the Senior/Principal Scientist will play a key role in delivering outstanding systems, protocols, and processes—enabling high throughput NGS panel manufacturing and personal diagnostic testing, paving the way for the personalized healthcare revolution.
Job performance will involve a variety of activities including, but not limited to:
- Designing and conducting wet lab and/or in silico experiments
- Analysis of various large data sets, particularly NGS/WES results and reference genetics data
- Interpreting scientific results and providing conclusions and recommendations
- Communicating findings and educating audiences with diverse technical backgrounds
- Generating ideas to improve existing technology and generate new technologies
- Assist in algorithm development to produce new bioinformatic tools and pipelines
- Recommend and guide process improvements to optimize PCM manufacturing for speed, quality, sustainability, and scalability.
- Provide end-user support to PCM manufacturing operators, logistics specialists, and quality assurance personnel.
- Lead by example to create an inclusive culture that values high engagement
- Build and maintain positive and collaborative relationships cross-functionally to develop and improve technology and information transfer
- Working with collaborators both in industry and academia to create custom assay solutions
- Creation of publication quality scientific communications
- Review, understanding, and compliance with ArcherDX HIPAA Security policies and procedures
- Safeguarding the privacy and security of protected health information and European Union personal data
- Processing and handling of European Union personal data only as directed by ArcherDX for purposes of personalized molecular pathology
- 5+ years of laboratory experience (required) with 2+ years in industry (highly preferred)
- Proficient with molecular genetics wet-lab techniques, particularly PCR and NGS library preparation (required)
- Experience with NGS and bioinformatic tools for NGS analysis (required)
- Familiar with scripting languages for executing and creating bioinformatic analysis such as Python, R, Bash, etc. (required), AWS, SQL (preferred)
- Familiar with cancer genetics (required)
- PhD in a life sciences discipline with demonstrated expertise in genetics/genomics.
- Passion for enhancing healthcare outcomes with novel technology
- Problem solver comfortable operating in the grey-space and driving forward with risk balanced decision making
- Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed.
- Demonstrates responsiveness and sense of urgency when pursuing goals and completing tasks
- Ability to participate with others as a member of the team to ensure that demanding and difficult projects are handled smoothly and cooperatively to enhance the success of the projects and maintain strong relationships within all parts of the company.
- Must exemplify Invitae/Archer’s values: Accountability, Care, Trust, Grit & Urgency
- History of thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Inspirational people leader with a history of managing teams to deliver their best work
- Able to organize, prioritize, and delegate tasks to efficiently move projects forward
This job description is not designed to cover nor contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
In Colorado, our competitive compensation package includes a base salary starting from $119,325.00. In determining the final salary offered, we will evaluate a specific candidate's geographic location, education, skills, and experience.
Invitae offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes healthcare coverage, 401k, and a broad range of other benefits, outlined below:
- Health, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage
- Paid time off, holiday pay, parental leave, and other health and wellness supports
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.