Senior Manager, Data Engineering at Healthgrades
Healthgrades is focused on providing trusted information that helps consumers and providers make meaningful connections. As a Senior Manager of Data Engineering you will be leading a team building the future of Healthgrades’ enterprise data solutions - enabling health systems, hospitals and providers to better reach those consumers who are seeking care.
The Healthgrades enterprise data platform will enable health systems to create a holistic patient view, eliminate data silos, and improve patient experience. This enterprise platform will bring together once disparate data into a single platform, breaking down data silos and making data more useful across an entire organization. The Healthgrades data platform will also serve as the underlying data management solution for powering Healthgrades CRM and other customer experience execution systems while enabling health systems to reach beyond traditional efforts to improve and manage patient experience and patient engagement.
In this role, you will split your time between managerial activities and hands-on development. If you are a leader who is a hands-on technologist and your idea of fun is to leverage the latest technologies to deliver a world-class product, you will fit right in!
What You Will Do:
- Lead and work alongside a team of engineers to create products using Databricks and Snowflake that will directly affect the mission of Healthgrades
- Sets priorities and assigns tasks to team resources
- Deliver batch and near-realtime data pipeline features to process incoming healthcare information quickly and reliably
- Lead and establish best practices around test automation, a continuous delivery pipeline, and automated data quality solutions as part of a forward-thinking, agile organization
- Gather requirements through direct interaction with the business/product stakeholders
- Communicate deliverable progress and outcomes, both written and verbally to business and IT leadership
- Review team members' code and unit testing for correctness and quality
- Ensure that canonical models and data modeling best practices are utilized to standardize data within the enterprise data platform.
- Manage team member performance and create development plans to build on employee strengths
- Support and enable Agile Software development teams - removing roadblocks to development through collaboration, communication, and creative solution recommendations
- 5+ years of experience developing data pipelines or ETLs building and maintaining large databases / data stores in data-intensive organizations including capacity planning, load balancing, performance tuning, high availability and multi-sites disaster recovery.
- 5+ years of experience in Scala or Java
- 2+ years of experience managing and mentoring other Data Engineers, ensuring data engineering best practices are being followed and deliverables are being met
- 2+ years of experience working with Databricks / Apache Spark for data transformation & aggregation
- 2+ years of experience working with Snowflake
- Strong understanding of SQL, relational databases, columnar data warehouses, and data modeling
- Experience providing estimates as well as planning and forecasting staff demand
- Experience designing and supporting the database components of software applications and understanding of entire application development life cycle.
- Familiarity with Master Data Management (MDM) best practices
- Experience implementing security standards as well as data scrubbing/masking/de-identification best practices
- Knowledge of TDD, automated testing principles, and testing best practices
- Ability to setup CI/CD and other process automation including a familiarity with Jenkins/Git
- Strong familiarity with cloud-based services (AWS) and container technologies (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Previous experience with microservices architecture and API gateways is a plus
- Knowledge (and experience) designing and building distributed systems for scalability and security
- A drive towards self-learning of new technologies, techniques and methods
- Test-and-learn mentality – you pivot quickly when an approach is not successful
- Keen attention to detail, eye for design and understanding the value of collaboration with UX/creative and product teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
At Healthgrades, we recognize that our people drive our greatest achievements. We are passionate about maintaining a fulfilling, rewarding and high-energy work environment while setting the stage for your continued success.
- Meaningful Work – empowering consumers with data to make the right decisions for themselves and their families
- Changing the Game - evolving, dynamic culture with career advancement opportunities
- Community Builders- participating in local charity organizations and wellness initiatives
- Robust Perks – generous PTO, 401k contributions, tuition assistance, entertainment discounts & more!