Senior Engineer I, Data Engineering at Guild Education
This may be a remote role, which can sit in any of the following 25 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TN, TX, SC, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Guild, work across teams to help us build the next generation of data products. Work with world class data engineers to design and build the scalable, robust, and high-quality data infrastructure and data pipelines needed to support growth of our education network and SaaS platform. Ultimately, help change the landscape for how we think about delivering education products to learners across the country by building a digital solution that connects students, employers, and universities to deliver education at an affordable price to students.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Designing, building, and expanding Guild’s backend data infrastructure, including data pipelines, ETL, data ingestion, data APIs, and data warehouses
- Building APIs that can be used internally or externally to serve crucial information across systems, partners, and teams.
- Translating complex business requirements into usable, scalable data models and systems
- Collaborate with other Engineering Leaders like Stafford Brunk, Tom Hlavaty and Jess Rusin to identify and solve common problems across the Engineering Team
- Evolving our data products now and in the future by contributing to our backend data architecture
- Working in an agile team environment with a robust engineering team
- Taking on a multi-functional role that will expose you to the ins and outs of Guild (working with our Product, Design, Client Success, and Student Services teams)
- Receiving feedback through our learning-focused, twice annual Structured Growth Conversations
- Choosing and using the latest technologies in data engineering to automate data integration and loading, such as, Amazon Redshift, Redis, Java, Scala, Spark, Kafka, Python, S3 and PostgreSQL
- Using your experience to design solutions that will be the backbone of a highly scalable, reusable, backend data infrastructure
- Ensuring our data is clean, accurate, and secure
- Thriving in fast-paced and scaling environment
- From a diverse set of backgrounds – from traditional higher education, to athletic coaches, to politicians, to mental health professionals (and more!)
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company
- Join a team at Guild committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
As an individual and part of the broader team:
- Experience building data pipelines, custom ETL processes and data warehouses
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as Java, Python, or Scala
- Expertise in database technologies such as Redshift, PostgreSQL, Redis, and working with large sets of data
- Experience deploying solutions to cloud technology services such as Amazon Web Services
- Experience improving software products through engineering standard methodologies such as refactoring, reusability, TDD and continuous integration
- A proven ability to thrive in changing environments by having a fast, flexible, cooperative work style
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to other engineers, analysts, product managers, and partners.
- Experience with BI tools such as Looker, Tableau, Kibana, Chart.io, etc.
- Basic experience in statistical analysis, text processing, and machine learning
- Passion for higher education and our mission – Guild is pioneering a new path for education as a benefit in a complicated and regulated space – success means quickly and effectively adapting your expertise
- A drive to work hard and plan for how you can refresh/recharge while working in a startup
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!
Guild is growing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an expansive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. Additionally, we feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market driven, including a base salary range of $145,000 -$160,000 as well as company stock options.
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- We provide 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- We provide 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- We provide family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- We provide well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- We offer education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth