Senior Decision Scientist, Fraud at Ibotta (Greater Denver Area, CO or Remote)
Ibotta is seeking a Senior Decision Scientist to join our Fraud Analytics team and contribute to our mission to Make Every Purchase Rewarding. Our Fraud team is responsible for balancing an amazing Ibotta customer experience with minimal fraud dollar loss, and we are looking for a bright, creative, and collaborative decision scientist who will help us meet these goals.
As a Senior Decision Scientist, you’ll perform ad-hoc analysis to generate new fraud insights, and inform the business of risk. You’ll design and maintain software, dashboards and rules to help support situational awareness around our efforts, and will identify fraud potential in new features, programs and products. You’ll have the unique, challenging, and rewarding opportunity to have a material impact on the company’s operations, and will be able to advance not only your technical skills, but your organizational and leadership skills as well by contributing to the creation of best practices for the team and company, and learning from the more senior scientists and managers on the team.
This position is located in Denver, Colorado or with the option of full-time remote. Candidates must live in the United States.
What you will be doing:
- Embrace and uphold Ibotta’s Core Values of Integrity, Boldness, Ownership, Teamwork, Transparency, & Advocate for Savers to help Make Every Purchase Rewarding
- Initiate and drive collaboration with stakeholders, architects, and data and product engineers
- Consult on fraud risk mitigation for new cross-functional initiatives and provide recommendations and action plans for mitigating risk to discover, define, cleanse, and refine the data needed for analysis
- Design and maintain software, dashboards and rules to identify, track and monitor fraud trends.
- Evaluate, recommend, and support integration work with fraud and security-related external suppliers
- Continually review fraud rules to improve efficacy.
- Analyze large and novel datasets to extract actionable insights to inform business decisions and understand consumer behavior
- Communicate risks and requirements to cross functional teams
- Provide customized views of large and complex datasets to support data analysis and business decision-making
- Inform experimental design to formulate solutions addressing major business challenges and innovation opportunities
- Contribute to creating best practices for the team, and help mentor less experienced teammates
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years of experience in an analytical function with experience working directly with leadership
- Bachelor’s degree in analytics/mathematics/statistics/data science/computer science/economics
- Ability to fetch and transform large-scale datasets using a language like SQL or python for analyses
- Basic inferential statistics knowledge (for example: estimating a population mean from its sample, power analysis, basic knowledge of statistical tests to compare groups)
- Experience partnering with a cross-functional group of engineers, operations, product, and leadership teams to achieve a common goal
- Self-motivated individual with strong sense of leadership, ownership, and drive
- The ability to make trade-off decisions based on large amounts of data
- Curiosity and the commitment to continually ask questions of our data and business
- Ability to translate ambiguous business questions into structured data problems
- Experience using modern data analysis tools (SQL, Python, R, SAS, Splunk, etc.)
- Ability to build concise and compelling data visualizations with modern data visualization tools (Looker, Mode, Tableau, Imply, etc.)
Built in Denver, CO, Ibotta ("I bought a...") is a free mobile shopping app that gives users cash back on groceries and more. Through our partnerships with brands and retailers like Procter & Gamble, Kraft Heinz, Kellogg, Amazon, Walmart, Target, and Uber, we’ve delivered over $1B in cumulative cash rewards to our Savers. Guided by our values and our mission to make every purchase rewarding, we come to work energized by the business problems we get to solve, the technology we get to build, and the people we get to innovate (and have fun) with. Ibotta made Inc.’s 2020 list of the 5000 fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. for the third consecutive year. In 2019, we became the first mobile consumer technology company in Colorado to achieve $1B in valuation.
To learn more about what our Tech teams are doing day to day, visit Building Ibotta on Medium.com.
- This position is located in Denver, CO or with the option of full-time remote and includes competitive pay, flexible time off, benefits package (including medical, dental, vision), Lifestyle Spending Account, 401k match, profit sharing and equity. Candidates must live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
- Base compensation range: $90,000 - $120,000. This compensation range is specific to the state of Colorado's local labor market and may vary for employees living in other areas.
- Ibotta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Ibotta’s employment decisions are made without regard with race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
- If living in the United States, applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- For the security of our employees and the business, all employees are responsible for the secure handling of data in accordance with our security policies, identifying and reporting phishing attempts, as well as reporting security incidents to the proper channels.