Apostrophe is building the health plan that can fix America.
The largest, most innovative self-insured employers have figured out how to cut 40% from their healthcare costs. Our Intelligent Health Benefits Platform makes their best practices plug-and-play for the other 80% of US employers who self-insure their health benefits. In an industry defined by complexity, opacity and indifference — Apostrophe is delivering simplicity, transparency and love.
We seek fresh ideas, new perspectives, a diversity of experiences and a dedication to delight that will help us better meet the needs of the many people and businesses that rely on us every single day. Learn more about our values.
Imagine if you could take data and use it to help people make better decisions.
As a member of our Engineering team, you’ll work closely with our Data Architect and Engineers to make this goal a reality. Data is the backbone of any health plan, and there is plenty of it!
Who You Are
Your superpower is solving real-world data challenges.
While a degree isn’t required, you do need to embrace learning and continuous improvement, have a strong technical skill set and favor simple solutions over complex ones.
You will be working with our data (SQL and NoSQL) on a daily basis. You are versatile, compelled by data, self-directed and live by the following perspectives:
- Attention to Detail: Data is precise. You are vigilant in your analysis to ensure you come to correct conclusions.
- Analytical Skills: Facts, figures and number crunching — there is always a lot of data. You see through the data and analyze it to find conclusions.
- Communication Skills: Distilling data down into findings people can absorb is challenging. You understand how to translate complex findings, in a clear and concise manner.
- Critical Thinking: You understand the importance of looking beyond the numbers, trends and data and come to new conclusions based on the findings.
- Follow-Through: You pay attention to the stages of a project, effectively manage your work using standard tools and communicate early and often with members of the team.
- Leadership: As a Senior Database Developer, you will coordinate with other members of the team and take the lead on organizing and delivering new features.
What You’ll Do
You will develop complex data projects and transform data into meaningful and actionable solutions.
- You will be a key contributor to our growing business intelligence platform. Cultivating actionable insights that our team and our customers use to evaluate and measure key insights.
- Most days you will be working on building new data features that will drive automation, accuracy and workflow, and ensure that financial and claim data reconciles.
- Some days you will be helping to support our member care or finance teams to research data questions and provide solutions.
- You’ll also work closely with the rest of our data and engineering team to mentor and advise.
- You will participate in the analysis and design of database schemas and work to optimize the database design.
- Strong data analytic skills and have the ability to troubleshoot data questions and discrepancies accurately
- Passion for ensuring accurate and correct data throughout our platform is always a priority
- Expert SQL skills including data normalization, script creation, designing, developing and testing database objects (tables, views, stored procedures, indexes, functions, constraints)
- Ability to develop complex business logic within stored procedures and testing of stored procedures as a key component of a web application
- Ability to program automated tests of stored procedures is a great plus
- You have 7+ years of experience designing and implementing database objects using best practices using MySQL or other SQL databases.
- Experience working with the AWS platform including; S3, Redshift, RDS or Aurora this is a plus. These skills are desirable but not required; we will train the right candidate on our preferred platform.
- Experience working with Healthcare data is a plus. This knowledge is desirable but not required; we will train the right candidate.
What You’ll Get
- We collaborate often, and understand the tradeoffs required to build iteratively, modularly and at scale
- We talk practically about why coding with standard methodologies is critical to long term success
- We have a strong focus toward continuous delivery, test driven development, and continuous improvement. You are comfortable working in true agile style.
- We think and work creatively — we love new ideas!
- Bring meaningful, systemic change to an industry that is incredibly broken
- You are interested in learning what is involved in going from concept to scale including product vision, data, algorithm design, and, of course, building an awesome platform.
- Opportunity to work with one of the most amazing tech start-ups in the industry, located in Colorful Colorado
- Work with an amazing team that’s going places and leading an industry
- Flexible work schedule, cool office space, fun team events and smart, collaborative peers
Who We Are
Apostrophe Intelligent Health Benefits replace your current administrator and legacy provider network to deliver better benefits for less money to self-insured employers. Apostrophe is driven by simplicity, transparency and love to provide market-leading member care and put employers back in control of cost and experience.
We are a Techstars Boulder 2017 company and certified B Corporation. Blue Cross Blue Shield Kansas, Royal Street Capital and Ulu Ventures are helping us build a fast-growing, sustainable business based around our core values.
Apostrophe is a Denver tech company, but many of our clients are in the midwest and the southeast, in both mid-sized cities and rural areas, and representing traditional industries and public sector. We will spend extra effort to seek out people familiar with these areas and backgrounds.
Our home base is in the RiNo area of Denver. There is ample free parking and we are just a couple blocks from the new 38th and Blake Light Rail stop.
Apostrophe does not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.