- Be a thought leader in using data to improve CI/CD practices
- Build and deploy models supporting product features that help 100,000+ developers ship code faster
- Coach a team of mid-to-senior-level product analysts to improve data-science skills
- Build company-wide practices to enable model discovery, deployment, monitoring, and governance
You will be a member of CircleCI's 10-member Analytics and Data Science team. You will report to the team’s director. The team is part of CircleCI’s product organization. The team is focused on improving our product experience, enabling data-driven product management, and improving company-wide data practices. You will partner with product managers and leaders. You will collaborate with Data Engineering, Analytics Engineering, Design, and other stakeholders.What you’ll do:
- Discover models that solve CI/CD's hardest problems: Work with product managers to quantitatively identify customers’ CI/CD pain points, like slow builds, flaky tests, and dependency hell, and to help make product decisions. Work with engineering leads to identify platform optimizations, like capacity allocation and demand forecasting. Prioritize problems. Engage in exploratory data analysis. Evaluate available data and define requirements for needed data. Select modeling strategies, tools, and approaches Build features and tune models. Present to stakeholders and executives. (Approximately 40% of your time).
- Mentor analysts and build team practices: Be an effective coach. Improve teammates’ data-science skills, such as modeling strategy, feature engineering, and model scoring. Improve teammates’ analytics skills across a variety of problems. Help groom business questions, evaluate data sources, identify analytical techniques, and create visualizations. Up-level the team’s programming skills. Build processes to help the team scale. Improve the team’s use of statistics, hypothesis testing, and experimental design. Keep the team up-to-date on the state of the art. (Approximately 30% of your time).
- Build data practices: Define a process for the discovery of data products. Collaborate with data engineering and business intelligence on ingesting data, pipelining appropriate features, and rolling models into production. Contribute to our growing data architecture, governance, documentation, and security practices. Work through organizational, people, and process challenges of breaking new ground. Celebrate incremental wins. (Approximately 30% of your time).
- Data science experience: Six or more years in data science, analytics, or comparable roles. Four or more years focused on models and algorithms. Demonstrable experience with model selection. Creativity in adapting tools and techniques.
- Instinct for product discovery: Experience with product management and the discovery of data products. Effective data-product prototyping. Able to uncover insights in messy data sources. Effective juggler of scope, time, and value. Able to build cross-functional partnerships.
- Analytics leader: Experience mentoring and developing teammates. Fostered open, respectful, data-driven team cultures. Smartly managed hard technical and business trade-offs. Defined effective and flexible best practices.
- Strong technical education: Ideally, a Master’s degree in a technical or quantitative field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, or Finance. Bonus for relevant Ph.D.
- Big-data, cloud-based toolkit: Worked with billion-row datasets. Experienced with distributed data processing technology (e.g., Spark). Hands-on experience with AWS’s data warehousing and ML products and Snowflake. Fluent in Python for analytics/ML use cases as well as SQL.
- Right soft skills: Passion for data, discovery, and problem-solving. Curious; confident; and open to questioning assumptions and being questioned. Effective communicator across technical and business audiences; able to manage stakeholder expectations; and able to collaborate with hands-on executives. Entrepreneurial; fast-moving; able to balance vision with execution; and not easily discouraged. Has an instinct for value; and focused on the incremental, not gold plating.
- Bonus for knowledge of our domain--software delivery: Empathy for the challenges developers face with productivity and time to market. Ideally, experience developing code, debugging, testing, committing with distributed VCS and modern CI/CD.
You can work remotely anywhere in North America. You also have the option to work out of our San Francisco, Denver, Boston or Toronto offices. CircleCI is a distributed company with team members across 50+ cities and 13 countries.How to apply
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and a cover letter if you’d like to let us know describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (GitHub, Twitter, Stack, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect" candidate. We’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Base10, Greenspring Associates, Eleven Prime, IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Baseline Ventures, Threshold Ventures, Scale Venture Partners, Owl Rock Capital, Next Equity Partners, Heavybit and Harrison Metal Capital.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Colorado Salary Range: $154,500 - $181,500/yr
Level: Mid-Senior Level