Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team
We are a passionate bunch who believe in Analytical Data platforms that enable us to simplify analytical data usage, pipelines and ML development.
We have a great team of engineers already and have built a fantastic collaborative team. As we grow, we are looking for solid and energetic engineers who can bring along their knowledge and style, adding their unique skills to craft our Analytical Data Platforms.
As a member of our dynamic team you will be someone who thrives on owning your solutions from beginning to end and is always wanting to learn new tools and technologies.
About the role
As one of our Senior Data Platforms Engineers, you will be a hands-on expert who will engage in design, implementation, integration, testing and documenting the solutions and infrastructure to enable data analytics at scale. As a high performing member of our engineering team, you will contribute to delivering the new Data Platform capabilities and services, as well as improving our existing platforms and engineering practices.
You will own the solutions and build them in a secure, reliable, and scalable manner to enable users to access relevant, vast, and quality data in an effective manner.
What you'll do
- Help create the Platforms, tooling and integrations required to enable other teams to work with data.
- Improve the existing solutions (Data Platforms) and propose improvements or alternative solutions where applicable.
- Input into design and implementation of effective monitoring solutions and infrastructure to support scalable batch and real-time systems.
- Be a team player and share your input and knowledge during Platform design sessions, platform services support and management along with our wider geographically distributed teams.
- Work with Engineering, Product and Technology teams to understand the types of data collected in various applications, databases, and data warehouses.
- Dedicated to automation, documentation, and collaboration at all stages of the engineering workflow.
- Proactively monitor environments and drive problem management, troubleshooting and tuning.
What you’ll bring with you
- Strong engineering skills with the ability to articulate and advocate the technical vision and direction for your capability.
- Proven track record of implementing and supporting Data Platforms at scale.
- Experience in creating and managing virtualisation and container orchestration environments.
- Successfully builds trust and credibility with stakeholders and working relationships.
- Preferably a Certified AWS Solution Architect (Associate / Professional).
- Knowledge and experience in API development, Data Lake, Data Analytics, Cloud Monitoring and Analytics.
- Experience building cloud-native applications and supporting technologies / patterns / practices including: AWS/GCP/Azure, Docker, CI/CD, DevOps, and microservices.
- Experience in the deployment, automation, maintenance, and management of Cloud-based environments.
- Experience with implementing and integrating with monitoring and alerting tools.
- Good understanding and experience measuring and designing for non-functionals, like reliability, availability, security and performance.
- Good knowledge of BI and Reporting Platforms or similar, and understanding of platform requirements for ML / AI use cases.
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
In one of our #beautiful offices Auckland or Wellington
Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.