Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of universal communications APIs that allow developers to quickly connect their applications to every email, calendar, or contacts provider in the world. Over 40,000 developers around the globe use the Nylas communications platform to process over 1.2 billion API requests and 15TB of data per day from providers such as Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo! and more.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 and has raised over $175M to date from Tiger Global, 8VC, Spark Capital, Slack, and more; as well as individual investors including Patrick Collison, Co-Founder and CEO of Stripe, John Collison, President and Co-Founder of Stripe, Sebastian Siemiatkowski, CEO of Klarna, and Tony Fadell. Developers around the world use Nylas to quickly and securely build email, scheduling, and work automation features into their applications. Nylas customers include Upwork, Wix, Freshworks, Lever, Dialpad, Ceridian, and Move.com.
Nylas is a BIG advocate for the well-being of its employees, which is why we have embraced a People First philosophy. It’s about giving more autonomy and flexibility to our employees. It’s not about when, where or how the work is accomplished; it’s about adopting a mindset of velocity and trust when tackling the work. It’s about respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
Nylanauts have the ability to decide the best workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. Why? Because we want our employees to be great; because we are focussed on being a high-performing team. To achieve this mission, we remove barriers and offer more autonomy. So, Nylanauts are encouraged to find those environments that inspire them to be great. This means Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Montana or from the beaches of Italy.
And if Nylanauts want to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can! The workspace is there to be utilized.
So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably and Great Place to Work!
Fastest Growing Companies (Inc 500)
2020 Great Place to Work (Great Place to Work)
2020 Best Places for Professional Development (Comparably)
2020 Happiest Employees (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Compensation (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Perks & Benefits (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Work-Life Balance (Comparably)
About the team
Nylas is working on a next-generation data platform. You will be involved in building out the new infrastructure on top of a more modern stack that offers horizontal scalability and improved operability. In addition, you will help design and implement data pipelines that feed into the AI/ML models and data warehouse. As an early member of the team, you will help build the foundation of data engineering at Nylas.
- Understand business requirements and translate them into the concise development/design tasks
- Collaborate with product, engineering, finance, sales, marketing, and customer success teams across the organization to help develop, maintain, and operate our data pipeline
- Implement new requests from various teams to fulfill their data needs
- Design, implement, and maintain data pipelines for extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources to data lake or data warehouse
- Create and maintain detailed documentation and functional design specifications
- Architect data models and build efficient and reliable ETL pipelines to bring the data into our core data warehouse/data lake
- Enjoy working with smart people in a challenging and fast-paced work environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineer or related field
- 5 years experience in SQL
- 5 years experience in Spark
- Strong experience with Python.
- Experience with AWS services, such as S3, Glue, Redshift, and DynamoDB… etc.
- Experience with GCP products
- Experience with both structured and semi-structured data, such as relational data, JSON, and Parquet
- Experience with K8s and Docker.
- 5 years of technical experience working with large data sets
- Knowledge of data modeling, data warehousing, ETL processes, and business intelligence reporting tools
- Ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries
- Excellent oral, written, analytical, problem solving, and presentation skills
- Exceptional collaboration, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Basic proficiency in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience with Git/Github
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% of medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
- Retirement Plan: 401k & RRSP with a company match (super rare for a startup)
- Holidays: 14 paid annual holidays (New Year’s Day, Family Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Indigenous People's Day, etc)
- Education Stipend: annual education & development benefit
- Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Voting/Election PTO: 4 hours of paid time off to vote in person or volunteer at a polling place
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.
Read Full Job Description