Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
The savvy use of data underpins every aspect of our product development at Xero. As a Senior Architect in the Data Team you will connect with delivery teams, technical specialists, and business leaders to tackle organisation defining challenges.
Your work will empower Xeros to make decisions based on data, accelerate Xero's ability to deliver ML-inside products, and establish a vision and roadmap for our data discoverability, coherence and governance goals.
About The Team:
Architects are part of the Architecture and Integration team that sits within the Technology group of Xero. This role is embedded in the Data team, where you’ll work collaboratively with specialist delivery teams to develop architectural guidance.
The Data team is a collective of specialists driven by a shared mission to help establish Xero as the most insightful and trusted small business platform. We bring together diverse skills as we work on data platforms, data modelling, application development, applied research, ethics, literacy, and strategy, to name a few.
At the heart of our mission is helping Xero and its customers get value from data responsibly, on robust data platforms, with robust methods.
About the role:
- You’ll work in close collaboration with the principal engineers, applied scientists and product and platform managers within the Data portfolio and with the wider Architecture team, to define, refine, document and champion Xero’s architecture strategy and long-term direction within our Data portfolio.
- You'll improve the cohesion of Xero’s systems – people, technologies and processes. Through sound architecture practices, you’ll balance long-term evolvability and scalability with current needs.
- You’ll help to integrate the pieces into a beautiful whole, orchestrating our internal systems and third party software solutions to deliver great customer outcomes.
- You’ll provide just enough technical governance, ensuring teams have appropriate architectural guardrails for their work.
- You’re an architect with hands-on experience of working with data at scale (e.g. at least one of count based analytics, machine learning based analytics, integration with distributed systems, data ops, data governance and privacy, metadata and schema management).
- You embrace a growth mindset, leading change and seeking new and better ways to solve problems.
- You thrive on influencing others and negotiating with diverse stakeholder groups.
- You enjoy bridging technical and commercial domains.
What you'll bring with you:
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, you’ll be comfortable speaking with engineers, scientists, product stakeholders and business leaders.
- Great written communication, the ability to frame a discussion, tell a compelling story, and put forward clear recommendations.
- The ability to identify, influence and negotiate with disparate stakeholders and the perseverance to lead them to decisions.
- Visual communication, the ability to diagram physical and logical architectures, sequences and system interactions.
- Ability to define and measure non-functional requirements, such as reliability, availability, security and performance.
- Business analysis, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to evaluate technologies and articulate trade-offs.
- Practice of self-reflection and continuous learning.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
In one of our #beautiful offices Auckland, Melbourne or Wellington
Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.