Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the Team:
The Data team is responsible for driving the adoption of data-driven decision making across Xero - for both our internal users and our global customers of small business owners, bookkeepers and accountants. We are the centre of expertise for data strategy, data architecture, data modelling, machine learning, ethical data usage and artificial intelligence service design.
About the Role:
This role will help embed our commitments to responsible data use into culture and practices across our fast-growing organisation, by developing guardrails, implementation frameworks, and education programs to ensure our use of data and AI is consistent with our values.
You will have a driving passion for helping organisations and teams embed commercial and ethical use of data into their ways of working, with the ability to define a problem space, apply critical thinking and analysis, and clearly articulate recommendations
What you'll do:
- Partner with teams across Xero to define best practice guidance and playbooks around data governance, data ethics, customer consent and privacy
- Influence and coach key stakeholders in Xero teams to translate best practice approaches into their operational context
- Help to identify and remediate gaps against our Responsible Data Use Commitments and support high-value use cases with the right level of governance and guardrails
- Drive Xero's approach to responsible AI, addressing ambiguous ethical issues
- Work with our Legal, Regulatory, Privacy, Government Relations and Risk functions to ensure Xero remains ahead of the expectations of customers, partners and regulators
- Co-design and drive the responsible data and AI change roadmap
- Develop and deliver education resources, programs and communities of practice to uplift Xero's literacy around responsible use of data and AI, in collaboration with our Learning Experience and Comms team
- Represent the Data team and Xero to raise awareness of the work we do, including acting as a public advocate for responsible data use and ethical approaches to AI
What you'll bring:
- Experience in one or more the following fields: analytics, data science, machine learning, data governance, data protection and/or privacy
- Experience driving successful data-related change programs where teams have multiple, competing priorities
- Proven ability to translate regulatory, privacy, security and/or ethical requirements into implementation guidance at scale
- The ability to provide guidance and advice on how to identify and manage data-related risks and operate within appropriate guardrails
- Experience facilitating discussions between technical and non-technical audiences at all levels
- Familiarity with relevant regulatory and certification frameworks such as: GDPR, CCPA, ISO 27001/SOC2, and Open Data/Opening Banking Regimes
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.