Title of Role: Research Scientist
Location: HQ Boulder, CO
Compensation Range: $60,000 - $73,000 annuallyCompany Introduction
Sunday: Unbox a better lawn. We’re a venture-funded, Boulder-based startup that’s reinventing the lawn and garden space through a lens of e-commerce and technology. Our approachable, data-driven service and products help Americans in every state turn their yards into verdant, sustainable ecosystems, without all the toxic stuff. (Think Method Home meets StitchFix -- for Lawns!)
We are backed by a group of top-tier investors and advisors, and following our Series B raise, we are looking for the right people to grow our core team. Together, we will redefine an industry by continuing to build cutting-edge products that help people and the environment. If you don’t want to take our word for it, check out the article on us in FastCompany!
As a company rooted in nature, we deeply understand the benefits of diversity. We work to build a culture that attracts talented people from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to help us bring lawn care out of the dark ages. We are committed to building an inclusive, vibrant team that brings determination and passion to our work everyday.Job Description
The Science Office at Sunday is looking for a talented and motivated Research Scientist to lead high-impact research projects that impact product and business decisions. In particular, we are looking for a Research Scientist with experience in and a passion for the natural sciences. Responsibilities may include developing and implementing scientific studies, research project management, data collection and curation, and writing technical reports. An important part of this role will be the ability to balance both short-term deliverables and long-term goals as Sunday continues to thrive and scale for the future. We look forward to hiring someone who will work tirelessly to understand the natural world and deliver the best possible experience to our customers through collaboration with internal teams beyond Science.
This is an opportunity to come in at the ground level of a fast-paced startup, directly impact the company’s trajectory, and be a key contributor to a team that’s changing an industry for the better.
- Lead and execute interdisciplinary research projects to optimize physical and digital products alongside product development
- Develop and test hypotheses with innovative approaches
- Conduct physical and digital product testing in house or with external collaborators
- Collect, organize, and analyze data for research projects
- Communicate findings in reports and presentations
- Collaborate across Sunday departments on research projects and application of results
- Act as a research coordinator in collaboration with the Director of Science
- Masters of Science degree in plant science, soil science, environmental science, or related discipline
- Alternatively, 3+ years of professional or academic experience in natural science research
- Experience designing and conducting research studies
- Understanding of statistical methods and data analysis with statistical techniques
- Experience writing protocols and research reports
- Experience synthesizing research literature and conducting critical reviews
- Ability to prioritize and drive projects simultaneously with sense of urgency
- Creativity, independence, and the desire to learn new things
Other Skills and Qualifications
- Detail-oriented with drive for results.
- Roll up the sleeves, positive, can-do spirit!
- You look forward to being part of a small, scrappy team and are willing to pitch in with whatever needs to get done.
- Exhibits Sunday Core Values: Curious, Passionate, Courageous, Driven, Humble, Empathetic.
- Be a core member of a small, focused, innovative team
- Flexible remote/in-office work- half time in office, half time remote
- Autonomy to make critical decisions that will drive team success
- Health, Dental, Vision Benefits: covering employee premiums 100%; spouse/family 50%
- Flexible PTO program
- Access to 401(k) program (direct deposit)
- Location: Boulder, CO Named best place to live by U.S. News for the past 2 years.
As a company rooted in nature, we deeply understand the benefits of diversity. We work to build a culture that attracts a diverse mix of talented people to help us bring lawn care out of the dark ages. We are committed to building a diverse, vibrant team that brings determination and passion to our work everyday.