KPA (www.kpa.io) is a proven SaaS technology and services partner for corporate compliance and human resource professionals seeking opportunities to raise productivity, control expense, and mitigate financial and reputational risk via business process automation, improved safety and workplace compliance, and better HR practices. With KPA’s proven portfolio of end-to-end solutions and operational best practice clients can unlock opportunities to drive down costs, mitigate risk, and enhance the employee experience at a lower cost than clients can achieve internally.
Founded in 1986, KPA is owned by Providence Equity Partners, a top-tier private-equity company, and is focused on delivering SaaS solutions to the small and mid-size business (“SMB”) markets.
Are you up for the challenge of delivering modern software and data products for real people by creating industry baselines and predictive customer behavioral models around workplace safety? Is solving business challenges in innovative and inventive ways how you would like to spend your days? Do you want to work with a team of product managers, user experience designers, and developers that are all invested in producing great products to help create a safer workplace?
KPA is an environmental health and safety and human resources training provider working to make everyone’s workplace safer and better. We are looking to provide insights from our 30 years of customer behavior data to help customers prepare, resolve, and ultimately avoid safety compliance issues. https://www.kpaonline.com/products/
As a member of the User Experience and Product team, this is a product-focused data science role and will provide the business with actionable intelligence that drives deeper understanding and continuous improvement of the KPA product suite, customer engagement, and market insights from our data.
To be the right fit for this role, you are a data analytics leader with a mix of 30% statistics, 30% hacker, 20% programming, and 20% communicator. We are looking for someone to join our Product and User Experience Team to wrangle our data, work with small experiments, and collaborate with Product Managers, User Experience Designers, and Software Engineers to build data products from our customer’s behaviors. This will be things like establishing baseline trend data and comparisons, correlation and optimization of preventative actions decreasing accidents (items like forklift incidents, chemical spills and treatments, and OSHA safety guidelines), and ultimately establishing and extending machine learning solutions to help us solve problems and provide insights for our customers.
This role will work closely with product, design, and our customers to build data products. You will help us discover hidden information and insights using customer data, but your primary day to day focus will be to work side-by-side with Product to explore new ideas and solutions for our customers.
KPA’s Product and User Experience team is building off a new product platform that will combine multiple current product lines and will extend to build customer-focused solutions to make a well-trained and safer workplace. We are located in Lafayette, just east of Boulder - currently working remotely. At KPA, we value employees who take initiative to succeed, clear ownership of projects, and who are highly collaborative and accountable. Be ready to jump in with us and to establish our data product offerings together.
How you’ll have an impact…
● Drive the discovery, collection, and preparation of new data and the refinement of existing data sources.
● Develop a test data-driven hypotheses in order to find patterns and useful trends to help our customers.
● Work closely with customers from product discovery through solution implementation to improve products and business methods.
● Work with the Product and UX team to develop best practices for instrumentation and visualization of data.
● Develop stories from data and visuals that make sense and are actionable for our customers to help them provide appropriate training,
predict gaps, and reduce risk.
● Collaborate with engineers to implement machine learning techniques into our production environment.
● Experience with R or Python.
● Experience with predictive modeling.
● Familiarity with data visualization in Python, R, or D3.js.
● Experience with BI tools (i.e. Tableau, PowerBI, Sisense, etc.)
● Understanding of relational data structures and SQL.
● Ability to multi-task several priorities simultaneously and manage multiple projects.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills - being able to bring others along and speak in “common terms” for team and
customer understanding is key.
● Ability to take initiative, think on your feet, and problem solve.
● B.A. or M.S. in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or another relevant technical field.
WITHIN ONE MONTH, YOU'LL...
● Onboard to the team.
● Become familiar with current data sets.
● Assess the landscape of data analytics tools and technologies at KPA and establish areas of improvement.
● Start running experiments with our data.
● Participate in the agile development process.
● Get to know the Product, UX Design, and Technology team.
WITHIN THREE MONTHS, YOU'LL...
● Be key in the next release of our Reporting Dashboard enhancements.
● Start to demonstrate productivity and ownership on par with the other product team members.
● Show strong leadership and direction on our data analysis and structure.
● Have participated in various customer discovery calls with UX and Product.
● Have strong hypotheses towards potential data product enhancements that meet customer needs and goals.
● Be working closely and collaboratively with our Product Managers, Designers, and Engineers.
WITHIN SIX MONTHS, YOU'LL...
● Extend and optimize our Reporting Dashboard platform.
● Be designing experiments for benchmarks, recommendation pipelines, and machine learning models.
● Ensure the best development practices are being used and translated to execute on your data product visualizations in production.
● Have a solid understanding of our customer base and their practical data needs.
● Continue experimenting with the Product and UX Design team on new ways to communicate insights and provide data products to our
WITHIN A YEAR, YOU'LL...
● Be an expert in KPA’s products.
● Have full ownership and direction of the machine learning models.
● Contribute to the data science vision and processes.
● Be a mentor and help introduce and level-up our Product Managers, UX Designers, and Engineers in data science methods and best
● Continuously offer process improvements to our team, the business, and for our customers.
● This position reports to the User Experience Director, Product and is a full-time exempt position.
● The location will be at KPA’s corporate headquarters in Lafayette, CO.
As a growing company KPA values its employees by supporting them with a full benefits package including:
- Medical (both PPO and HSA plans available)
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- 401(k) match with immediate vesting
- Life Insurance
- Short and long term disability insurance
Read Full Job Description