Hotel Engine, the world’s largest Lodging Performance Network, is a leader in travel technology with a demonstrated track record of growth and impact. Our foundations are strong, and we’ve navigated our rapid growth by bringing our customer obsession, innovative platform, data-driven problem-solving, and bias for action into every decision. By partnering with tens of thousands of businesses and government agencies and hundreds of thousands of hotels around the world, we have built a resilient and adaptable business model and 2022 will be our best year yet!
We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist to join our fast-growing Data Science and Engineering team and lead the work on key data and machine learning models and services. Establishing and maintaining high-quality data assets, data infrastructure, and data science capabilities is critical for the company's continued success. We have and will continue to invest heavily to leverage data science and machine learning to drive strategic and business decisions, power key product features, and solve problems that directly improve our customers’ experience and the strength of our business, including pricing, personalization and retention.
This is a key leadership role within the data team, with broad strategic and technical responsibilities, an opportunity to directly influence the direction of the product and the business, and significant growth potential. The individual must be highly motivated, a self-starter with a strong track record as an individual contributor in data science and/or machine learning, and both an obsession for rigorous work and bias for action.
You are not expected to be an expert in all the areas listed below. We are building a team focusing on people’s strengths, not lack of weaknesses. If you are passionate about data and machine learning systems, about travel, and relate to our vision and DNA, please apply.
Here's what you'll do:
- Partner with stakeholders across Product, Engineering, Growth, Marketing, Finance, etc…\ to derive requirements, scope data services/systems and drive results
- Lead end-to-end process including conception, development, production, deployment, and monitoring of data and machine learning models and services
- Lead the team’s work on pricing, recommendation, lead scoring, retention
- Lead product and growth experiments
- Provide technical leadership to scientists/analysts working on data analytics projects and deliverables aiming at increasing growth/retention/profitability
- Work closely with data and platform engineers to scale our data infrastructure in line with the needs of the business and of the data team (data acquisition, ETL pipelines, reporting infrastructure, feature stores, etc.)
- Work closely with the VP, Data Science and the rest of the leadership team to define and deliver on the data science and engineering strategic roadmap and OKRs
- Work with the VP, Data Science to build and coach a world-class team of data scientists, data engineers and machine learning engineers
Here's what we're looking for:
- 8+ years of industry experience as a data scientist / ML engineer in high-growth environments
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, Statistics, or another quantitative discipline
- Prior experience applying machine learning to real-world data problems (pricing, recommendation, personalization, etc.) and deploying and scaling models into a production environment
- Track record of rigorous execution and high impact
- Strong fundamentals in algorithms, statistics and predictive modeling
- Excellent Python skills and experience with ML libraries or platforms
- Demonstrable experience in system/software architecture and development
- Ability to solve complex analytical problems using quantitative approaches with a unique blend of analytical, mathematical and technical skills
- Excellent communication skills – can articulate goals/architecture/methodologies clearly and communicate insights in an easily accessible way to a diverse set of stakeholders
- Highly detailed-oriented and exceptional organizational and follow-through skills is a must
- Experience with AWS technologies is a plus
- The total cash compensation for this role starts at $150,000/year with an annual bonus target of up to 15%. Overall Total Earning potential including the bonus starts at $172,500 plus stock options. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise & may vary from the amount above.
- This role is eligible for remote work. Hotel Engine is authorized to do business in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, TX, & WA. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Hotel Engine is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more.
Hotel Engine Total Rewards Philosophy | We recognize that there is more to work than the day-to-day responsibilities. Hotel Engine is on Built in Colorado’s 2021 Best Places to Work list and provides each employee with the opportunity to take on new challenges that support their near and long-term goals in a high-growth, startup environment. We also give back and have comprehensive corporate social responsibility programs supporting community, social justice and environmental causes. In addition to a collaborative, high-performing team environment, we’re pleased to offer benefits including:
- Competitive base salaries. Salary offers are based on the candidate's qualifications.
- Stock Options for all new hires
- Performance-driven commission opportunities for select roles
- Performance-driven equity awards
- Parental leave programs
- Generous time-off including open PTO, sick days and two paid volunteer days each year
- Insurance benefits including medical coverage, dental and vision offerings (with plans available at no cost to employees), as well as HSA/FSA, wellness, and disability offerings
- 401(k) plan with a match program