Principal Data Scientist at Hotel Engine (Remote)
Hotel Engine is the world’s largest Lodging Performance Network, established to create a richer, more rewarding business travel experience by connecting a global network of businesses and lodging partners. Our innovative travel-tech company is on an incredible growth trajectory and will continue to build on our strong foundations by bringing our customer obsession, data-driven problem-solving, and bias for action into every decision we make.
In December of 2021, we closed our series B funding round with a $1.3 billion valuation, and that’s just the beginning. We expect 2022 to be our best year yet.
Working hard behind the scenes building and supporting our platform are exceptional people–from our large engineering and product teams to our fast-growing sales, supplier, and member support orgs, to our data, marketing, and operations teams.
We value our individuality, and we also understand that together, we thrive. Most importantly, we know we’re not for everyone! We’re focused on finding the right people who are energized by our culture, with diverse experiences and backgrounds that will help us unlock our full potential. Complacency doesn’t live here. We’ve built a team of world-class people who really want to work with other world-class people. Click here to view our DNA, and if you like what you see, please, read on!
We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist to join our fast-growing Data Science and Engineering team and lead the work on key data and machine learning models and services. Establishing and maintaining high-quality data assets, data infrastructure, and data science capabilities is critical for the company's continued success. We have and will continue to invest heavily to leverage data science and machine learning to drive strategic and business decisions, power key product features, and solve problems that directly improve our customers’ experience and the strength of our business, including pricing, personalization and retention.
This is a key leadership role within the data team, with broad strategic and technical responsibilities, an opportunity to directly influence the direction of the product and the business, and significant growth potential. The individual must be highly motivated, a self-starter with a strong track record as an individual contributor in data science and/or machine learning, and both an obsession for rigorous work and bias for action.
You are not expected to be an expert in all the areas listed below. We are building a team focusing on people’s strengths, not lack of weaknesses. If you are passionate about data and machine learning systems, about travel, and relate to our vision and DNA, please apply.
Here's what you'll do:
- Partner with stakeholders across Product, Engineering, Growth, Marketing, Finance, etc…\ to derive requirements, scope data services/systems and drive results
- Lead end-to-end process including conception, development, production, deployment, and monitoring of data and machine learning models and services
- Lead the team’s work on pricing, recommendation, lead scoring, retention
- Lead product and growth experiments
- Provide technical leadership to scientists/analysts working on data analytics projects and deliverables aiming at increasing growth/retention/profitability
- Work closely with data and platform engineers to scale our data infrastructure in line with the needs of the business and of the data team (data acquisition, ETL pipelines, reporting infrastructure, feature stores, etc.)
- Work closely with the VP, Data Science and the rest of the leadership team to define and deliver on the data science and engineering strategic roadmap and OKRs
- Work with the VP, Data Science to build and coach a world-class team of data scientists, data engineers and machine learning engineers
Here's what we're looking for:
- 8+ years of industry experience as a data scientist / ML engineer in high-growth environments
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, Statistics, or another quantitative discipline
- Prior experience applying machine learning to real-world data problems (pricing, recommendation, personalization, etc.) and deploying and scaling models into a production environment
- Track record of rigorous execution and high impact
- Strong fundamentals in algorithms, statistics and predictive modeling
- Excellent Python skills and experience with ML libraries or platforms
- Demonstrable experience in system/software architecture and development
- Ability to solve complex analytical problems using quantitative approaches with a unique blend of analytical, mathematical and technical skills
- Excellent communication skills – can articulate goals/architecture/methodologies clearly and communicate insights in an easily accessible way to a diverse set of stakeholders
- Highly detailed-oriented and exceptional organizational and follow-through skills is a must
- Experience with AWS technologies is a plus
- The total cash compensation range for this role starts at $150,000/year with an annual bonus target of up to 15%. Overall Total Earning potential including the bonus starts at $172,500/year plus stock options. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise & may vary from the amount above.
- This role is eligible for remote work. Please check with your recruiter to learn more about the states we already operate in.
Hotel Engine Total Rewards Philosophy | We recognize that there is more to work than day-to-day responsibilities. Hotel Engine has been recognized on Built-in Colorado’s Best Places to Work list 3 years in a row (2020-2022) for our positive culture and robust growth opportunities.
As a company, we’re also dedicated to giving back to our greater community, and have comprehensive corporate social responsibility programs supporting community, social justice and environmental causes. In addition to a collaborative, high-performing team environment, we’re pleased to offer benefits including:
- Competitive base salaries
- Annual performance bonuses
- Stock options for all associates + performance-based stock options
- Insurance benefits including medical coverage (with a plan available at no cost to employees) + 100% paid dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan with a match program
- Unlimited PTO + 2 paid days each year to volunteer with your favorite non-profit
- Paid parental leave and family medical leave
- Hotel discounts through our exclusive platform
- The ability to make a real impact in an incredibly fast-growing organization; you’ll never be just another cog in the wheel.