Principal Data Engineer at Sovrn
About the Team
At Sovrn, the Data Foundation team plays an integral role in maintaining, evolving and engineering across Sovrn’s Data Collective. The team is focused on the ingestion, curation, and evolution of data. Additionally, they focus on key data technology solutions acting as the Data Engineering subject matter experts. This team is a key driver of the collaborative culture across engineering to enable product delivery across all of our applications. We focus to build and keep a high level of excellence, driving a culture of learning, positivity and humor, as well as mutual respect and humility in all that we do.
About the Job
Through our publishers, Sovrn Holdings reaches over 200 million people every day, generating over 40 billion HTTP requests daily. These requests must be processed in low milliseconds and result in petabytes of data on a monthly basis. The exciting technical problems we solve require a world class team and engineering culture to deliver against our mission.
Currently, we are seeking a Principal Data Engineer to play a critical and integral role building and maintaining our Data Collective and evolve our Data Engineering practices. You will be responsible for leading the hands-on engineering for Sovrn’s data platform. This includes, architecting, designing, building, and testing across all data engineering initiatives for Sovrns products. You will be recognized as an engineering leader that is driving improvements across a scalable architecture; building scalable data models to enable a data collective that powers the business; and defining, building and maintaining data service capabilities that enable growth. As a Principal Engineer you are expected to provide proven expertise in the big data domain and provide technical leadership for data engineering across the company. Additionally, you will be responsible for mentoring engineers, leading complex projects, and driving business value.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Perform architecture design, data modeling, and implementation of a big data platform and analytics applications.
- Analyze latest big data and analytics technologies and provide thought leadership to define/mature the architecture around big data strategies.
- Be responsible to define reference architectures and architectural blueprints through proof of concepts.
- Specify data platform components and configurations required for data pipeline implementation.
- Implement pipeline measurements to understand and improve performance and achieve scalability.
- Implement data pipeline metrics to monitor performance, accuracy, and availability.
- Research, implement, and evolve methods to process our data.
- Lead engineering efforts in creating a standardized data services layer.
- Provide domain expertise across the organization to enable business growth and development through data services and data models.
- Act as key leader to enable the data collective through enablement and collection of data sources across the business.
- Troubleshoot systemic issues and lead improvements.
You share Sovrn’s belief that a highly effective engineer is defined as much more than just technical ability, but also someone who uses exceptional interpersonal skills to improve team dynamics and executes on technical work with a long-term strategic vision. You are a self starter and able to get the job done without direct supervision. You enjoy leading a collaborative team but are also independently responsible. You are technically curious and enjoy investigating what is possible. Defining technical challenges and solving problems with your team to make better software gets you excited.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent understanding of real time streaming and batch pipelines, big data, and data lakes.
- Hands on experience in big data and distributed data processing in the AWS ecosystem.
- Experience with data warehousing and datamart design and implementation.
- Experience with data security and compliance (PII, CCPA, GDPR etc.).
- Strong understanding and inner workings of metadata management, data lineage, and data governance.
- Strong experience in structured, unstructured, semi-structured data techniques and processes.
- Strong understanding of the AWS Product and Service suite, including a deep understanding of their applicable use cases, best practices and implementation, and support considerations.
- Ability to clearly document and communicate architectural concepts at multiple levels.
- Ability to lead problem definition, solution designs, and define implementation work plans.
- Understanding of DevOps and SRE practices.
- A creative yet analytical mindset with problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to understand business domains and translate into Data Foundation services.
- Design and implementation experience with building out serverless architecture using microservices patterns.
- Experience low latency data processing models.
- Experience with multiple cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Experience with container management tools (Kubernetes, EKS, Fargate).
- Experience with Agile/JIRA.
- Experience with Team Leadership.
This position reports to: VP, Foundation Engineering
Location: Boulder, Colorado
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of accountability impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We expect you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we're looking for.
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, New York, and London.
With 10,000 customers deploying one or more products across 30,000 websites, Sovrn reaches 200M consumers across more than 3.5B pageviews everyday. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding, and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn Core Values: Candid, Customer Empathy, Learning, Scrappy, Second Order Thinking
Compensation and Benefits
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate compensation range for this role in Boulder, Colorado is $170,000 to $200,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate's relevant work experience, skills and certifications.
Sovrn offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, life insurance,11 paid holidays, flexible vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, and a paid parental leave program.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Sovrn is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, parental or pregnancy status, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sovrn does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Sovrn employees. Sovrn is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.