Principal Analyst, Americas Inorganics at IHS Markit Digital
JOB DESCRIPTION AND REQUIREMENTS:
This position reports to the Inorganics Business Global Business Leader. Description of the ideal candidate includes:
- Ten or more years of chemical industry experience, including experience related to the chlor-alkali, other electrolytic chemicals, alumina/aluminum, or pulp & paper industries; Commercial experience is desirable
- University degree required. Chemical engineering or chemistry degree preferred; MBA or other graduate degree is desirable
- Understands the IHS business model
- Outgoing personality; Ability and willingness to establish and maintain personal relationships and develop high degree of trust at multiple levels within a client’s organization
- Demonstrated organized ability to research through established contacts with diverse market participant channels in telephone, email and face-to-face interfaces; ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including fluent in English; Portuguese and/or Spanish language fluency preferred; writing sample submissions required
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills; ability to identify and articulate core/essential issues within complex problems and deliver insights and solutions. Deals well with ambiguity and contradiction.
- Strong computer modelling and excel spreadsheet management skills. Advanced excel skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office Professional suite
- Persuasive speaker at all client levels to small and large audiences
- Demonstrated “team player”; ability to internalize organizational strategy and objectives and provide peer leadership for collaborative success. Drives for action and results.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (after travel is safe)
- Willing to consider remote candidates willing to travel to Houston Enclave office periodically
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides primary research and ongoing analysis for markets in North and South America. Products covered may include, caustic soda, chlorine, chlor-alkali derivatives including but not limited to alumina, vinyls, and pulp, sodium chlorate and hydrogen peroxide. Research includes, but is not limited to producer capacities, supply/demand balance information, trade balances, pricing, production costs, individual company analysis, market analysis and consumption analysis and associated econometric modeling.
- Converts previous chemical industry experience, knowledge and expertise, analysis and insights into sustainable, profitable market advisory services.
- Builds and nourishes personal relationships with key industry contacts in the geographic coverage region that manufacture, consume or otherwise have financial interest in the chemicals assigned for analysis. Utilizes contacts to regularly collect market information; provides insightful reporting and analysis that benefits existing and potential clients of IHS Chemical services.
- Promptly responds to internal and external client questions and serve as a resource for client brainstorming/discussions. Contributes market expertise to proprietary projects, as needed.
- Independently interfaces with clients on areas of market expertise. Develops market presentations and pursues opportunities to present information in face-to-face client industry contact meetings, and at conferences. Actively markets the IHS Chemical capabilities in direct interface meetings.
- Provides regular neutral and objective price inputs and written analysis for Market Advisory Service reports. Continuously improves writing quality and effectiveness.
- Develops and maintains a fundamental working understanding of IHS Chemical basic model templates of supply/demand, econometric price forecasts, and trade grids. Updates the production capacity database and supply-demand balances.
- Actively pursues and develops unique analytical approaches that provide value to IHS Chemical clients and potential clients. Challenges existing analytical framework and conventional wisdom for continuous improvement.
- Regularly interfaces with global Market Advisory Services team members to ensure analysis consistency.
- Identifies new business opportunities for sales and consulting follow-up. Supports sales and consulting as needed to secure new client subscriptions and renewals.
- Proactively expands knowledge in other chemical areas to identify and advance new product opportunities for the Inorganics group.