Ontologist/Taxonomist at DHI Group, Inc.
Who are we?
We’re Dice, eFinancialCareers and ClearanceJobs, services of DHI Group, Inc. — where we're connecting futures now. We help connect professionals with the careers they want and companies with the talent they need, and we achieve this by providing online access to relevant and meaningful jobs, candidates, and insights within each of the communities we serve.
Why work with us?
We provide opportunities for you to contribute to our success, within a collaborative team where your opinion matters!
We challenge you to do exciting work while helping you grow your career!
We offer competitive pay, benefits and programs for you and your family to live healthy and secure!
We host social events for you to connect with others across our company and markets!
We serve the communities where we're located, and the causes important to you!
What is this opportunity?
As the Ontologist/Taxonomist specialist, you'll design data concepts, entities, and relationships to define the full universe of data across the business specifically focused around occupations, titles, skills, education, companies, seniority, industry, sector and certification taxonomies.
- Design and deploy taxonomies and ontologies that connect data assets across the enterprise and optimize searching, matching, parsing and encoding capabilities
- Develop and maintain data artifacts, including data catalogs, data dictionaries, and data workflows
- Create and maintain complex queries to classify data attributes, as well as design entity relationship diagrams (ERD) that meet business requirements
- Ensure that terminologies and ontologies provide adequate domain coverage and are compatible with relevant technology standards
- Develop high-quality technical documentation about terminologies and ontologies, including detailed descriptions of the terminology content and its associated models and processes
- Assist, with the definition of integration, translation (mapping), migration, and conversion strategies for new and existing knowledge content and data sources, including robust change control and versioning procedures
- Categorize and connect data assets across key stakeholder domains:
- Design, deploy, and maintain enterprise-wide taxonomies and ontologies
- Data mine catalogues to identify the best ways to collate and categorize data assets
- Research, evaluate, and recommend process improvements, including automated systems for knowledge capture, transformation, and presentation of information
- Evangelize standard terminology and best practices:
- Collaborate with Enterprise Technology teams to satisfy business requirements and implement change management practices
- Articulate the business case for using proposed taxonomies and ontologies, providing clear comparisons with other contemporary modeling approaches
- Lead and contribute daily to data management and governance initiatives
What are we requiring for this role?
Required Knowledge, Skills and/or Attributes
- Familiarity troubleshooting and mitigating metadata issues across enterprises
- Knowledge of data format standards, including industry standards (e.g. XMI for interchange of XML)
- Understanding of semantic standards (RDFS/SHACL/OWL/SKOS/SPARQL); experience using and or developing semantic models using RDFS/SHACL/OWL/SKOS/SPARQL
- Ontology tools (e.g. TopBraid, Protégé)
- Database management systems (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle, Teradata)
- Background in data mining, natural language processing or machine learning
- Graph database knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of modeling normalized data structures and manipulating data sets
- Skill at communicating solutions, ideas, suggestions to a variety of (business) stakeholders effectively and comprehensibly
- Conceptual and analytical thinker – ability to extract, analyze, and document complex data concepts and relationships
Required Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Science, Library Science, Engineering, Economics or related technical discipline
- Deep experience developing, implementing, and maintaining enterprise-wide taxonomies and ontologies
- 5+ years of experience in modeling techniques for conceptual, logical, and physical data models
- 5+ years of experience building models, ontologies, taxonomies, and other structures
- Experience designing entity relationship diagrams (ERD) that describe business requirements
- Experience managing and documenting deliverables for data governance projects
- Experience with data visualization (e.g. Tableau, Splunk, R)
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Experience with AWS platform
- Master's degree in related field