Lead Decision Scientist
Guild is hiring for a Lead Decision Scientist who will sit at the intersection of data, product, technology, business operations, and internal strategy, to help inform Guild’s most interesting business needs. You will work across the company to serve as a thought partner and data expert to help drive data driven decisions, build algorithms and tools.
As a Lead Decision Scientist you will:
- Lead complex analyses, partnering with operating teams across the organization including Marketing, Product, and Student Operations to help teams make the best data informed decisions by deeply understanding trends, advising on best practices for collecting data, and building statistical models.
- Apply advanced analytical techniques using structured and unstructured data to identify trends and run descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analyses aimed at making strategic recommendations.
- Identify, validate, and make use of data from disparate data sources, working with Product and Engineering teams to collect new data as needed.
- Identify areas within the business where we can leverage advanced analytical capabilities to drive the business forward.
- Define and advocate for the use of best practices throughout the business to ensure data is captured in a way that it can be used to help make impactful decisions.
- Design, develop, and deploy A/B tests and and other models/algorithms to help better serve our students, using results to drive improved outcomes.
- Identify opportunities to use data to inform strategic and operating business questions, translating business needs into analyses, and leveraging results to recommend strategic improvements with tangible outcomes for the business.
- Advocate for use of analytics to drive decision making throughout the business.
- Lead special projects as they are identified.
In addition to working on the Decision and Data Science team, in this role you will collaborate with other Guild leaders including: Noah Yetter (Staff Data Engineer), Katie Corder-Paul (Director of Student Operations), and Christine Hettinger (Group Product Manager).
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- 6+ years of experience in decision science, data science, analytics or a related technical role in a fast-paced business or start-up environment.
- Strong technical and analytical skills, with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proven business experience with a scripting language like Python or R, SQL (Redshift/Hive/Presto experience preferred), Excel/Google Sheets, and BI Tools (Looker a plus)
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with business partners to solve problems, achieve goals, and generate maximum impact.
- Analytical, intellectually curious, excellent problem-solver who is comfortable working with messy and unstructured data and translating it into strategic recommendations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills - you can build analytical and decision support models, synthesize recommendations, and create effective presentations for all audiences
- Team player mindset, with strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Passion for our mission – Guild is pioneering a new path for education as a benefit in a complicated and regulated space – success means quickly and effectively adapting your expertise
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!