Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
The Lead Portfolio Architect is responsible for the overall architectural direction, feasibility, usability and coherence of analytical data usage, machine learning and artificial intelligence at Xero.
The savvy use of Data underpins every aspect of our product development at Xero and as such, you will work closely with technical leaders across the business to jointly lift company spanning capabilities such as integration, data exchange, product instrumentation, feedback loops and data capture.
In collaboration with the Executive General Manager for Data and the GMs within the Data team, you will define and lead the execution of technical roadmaps that support the development and evolution of the required capabilities, improves developer productivity, performance, security and data stewardship.
You will provide leadership, mentoring and direction to a small team of architects within the Data portfolio. You will also provide expert advice on M&A work as required to support Xero’s business strategy.
This role will drive massive change which spans many teams, and you will need to have a strong interest in doing the right thing for our internal delivery pods and our end users. You will also be able to think critically and strategically about Xero as a holistic business and direct your team and influence your peers and colleagues accordingly.
What you'll bring with you...
- Demonstrable experience leading the architectural thinking on analytical data usage, machine learning and artificial intelligence within an organization of similar complexity
- A comprehensive knowledge of relevant technology, changes and trends and the motivation and mindset to continually grow the knowledge of how they may benefit Xero
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with a track record in articulating complex ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience building and leading teams of technical experts who collaborate, communicate and get the right things done
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Familiar with multiple software development methodologies and styles
- Has contributed to one or more open source projects.
- Relevant qualifications, ideally in software engineering.
What you'll do...
- Work with the rest of the Data leadership team to develop a clear, mutual understanding of priorities
- Develop the technical strategy for your portfolio, working with other technical leaders to ensure proposed solutions are scalable and using best practices
- Define, own and communicate the relevant roadmaps and prioritisation (including the development of business cases as required)
- Collaborate proactively with the architectural leaders of adjacent portfolios to ensure a coherent Xero wide approach to the analytical usage of data
- Proactively identify and resolve architectural issues that impact the speed at which the development teams can deliver features and mentor other architects to do the same within their sphere of influence
- Provide technical leadership for your team, providing feedback and guidance on significant projects
- Play an active role in the global architecture team, actively contributing to Xero-wide projects and strategies and providing the viewpoint of your portfolio
- Attract, retain, develop and motivate exceptional talent
- Lead by example, care for your team, and establish credibility with the quality of your own and your team's planning, documentation, communication and execution
- Represent Xero at external events to raise awareness of the work we do and the career opportunities we offer
- Cultivate a fun, rewarding, agile and results-driven culture that lives and breathes our Xero values
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
- In one of our #beautiful offices (Auckland, Wellington or Melbourne)
- Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
- Permanently Remote
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.