Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineering Manager II – Data Engineering
Oversees and provides guidance to the data engineer department responsible for developing and delivering data engineer products and services for internal stakeholders with a primary focus on creating and maintaining processes, managing resources, and developing and deploying staff who assure the technical services meets all of the requirements necessary to achieve the mission of MPA.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage the data engineer department; provide the framework for and foster a collaborative, inclusive work environment. Use knowledge, skills, and abilities to conceive and develop solutions of a tactical and strategic nature for the department. Provide coaching/mentoring to personnel, as needed. Understand how to articulate and elevate the needs of the team to leadership, when appropriate.
- Develop and improve data engineer technical processes; support Strategic Support Units and business discipline Process Groups, execute process corrective actions and process improvement activities, as required; support internal and external audits, and ensure compliance with ISO standards.
- Support program/project and initiative reviews throughout the development lifecycle and track program/project spend plans to stay within budget.
- Support candidate hiring selection process, conduct performance assessments and personnel actions, support salary reviews, recognition programs, and ensure the department has the appropriate training, personnel development mechanisms, and processes in place to meet the needs of programs/projects and compliance with approved standards.
- Anticipate and ensure talent and skill mix of the group are in sync with the needs of programs/projects and new business development organizations. Uses appropriate personnel strategy (hiring, assigning, cross-collaborating, and balancing personnel) for effectively managing workload.
- Communicate relevant information across echelons of the Company. Identify, anticipate, and plan accordingly to mitigate risks and roadblocks impacting project/program time, cost, and schedule. Represent MPA in leadership forums, present significant program/project milestones and/or resource related briefs. When appropriate, seek guidance and request feedback from the MPA Director, leading upward in an open-minded and proactive fashion.
- Create infrastructure of data engineering knowledge and processes for data engineers, technical staff, and any other personnel assigned to the organization that support the MPA and BATC strategic objectives.
- Ensure that all business is conducted using the highest ethical standards and in compliance with all applicable laws, statues, and regulations as well as company policies and directives.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA in related field plus 12 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Operations Research, or Statistics preferred.
- Experience leading and managing data engineer personnel.
- Experience managing projects, building spend plans, and executing a budget.
- Experience leading a centralized data engineer capability.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $149,000 - $205,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Subject to business performance and recommendations of management, this role may be eligible to participate in an incentive compensation plan.
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.